Conflicted about Grad School: My Uncertainty Towards a Mathematics Degree

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the speaker's uncertainty about pursuing mathematics in graduate school. They mention their qualifications and interests in the subject, but express doubts about the isolationist nature of the profession and the potential financial burden of getting a master's degree. The conversation also brings up the possibility of being a teaching assistant to cover the costs of graduate school.
InbredDummy
I'm not sure about grad school.

I've sacrificed a measurable amount of my life to pursue mathematics. I am confident enough in myself to say that I would be able to get into a handful of top 20 and maybe even a top 10 graduate school.

But I'm not sure if I want to pursue mathematics anymore. That being said, for my senior year I am taking a course in measure theory, topology and geometry, mathematical physics and will be doing an honors thesis in dynamical systems. I will be attending an REU this summer as well.

I am really lost about grad school. I view mathematics as more of a isolationist profession than most other professions. I don't know if i am willing to dedicate another 5-6 years to studying mathematics for a Ph.D. I don't know if i am willing to incurr 50 grand in debt to get a masters in financial mathematics, and even then, do i really want that job?

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I'm so lost. I might not want to pursue mathematics, but i am about to fly out to another part of the country to study mathematics for 8 weeks?

I don't think I can be a mathematician. Let me correct myself, I don't feel like I can deal with the everyday life of being a mathematician. I think I have other interests. But I want to keep grad school as a backup option.

I just don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
InbredDummy said:
I don't know if i am willing to incurr 50 grand in debt to get a masters in financial mathematics, and even then, do i really want that job?

I'm not really qualified to give any advice here, but I just wanted to point out that (last time I checked) grad school in math doesn't actually cost anything. In physics, MS students are appointed as teaching assistants for their two years (research assistants for the summer in betweeen), which means that they get full tuition scholarships, and get paid on top of that. Same with PhD students, except they get paid as research assistants their last three years to proceed towards their dissertation. I'm pretty sure it works the same way in math, though I could be wrong.

it seems like for financial mathematics, you do end up having to pay out of your own pocket.

anyone who is actually in grad school have any input about the isolationist aspect of being a mathematician?

I know a guy getting a masters in finance, with some emphasis on the mathematics. He snagged a TA in the physics department to pay for it. Maybe you can do the same with math.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a mathematics degree in grad school?

Pursuing a mathematics degree in grad school can lead to a variety of opportunities, including higher-paying jobs, specialized career paths in fields such as data science and finance, and the chance to contribute to cutting-edge research in mathematics and related fields.

2. What challenges should I expect if I choose to pursue a mathematics degree in grad school?

Grad school can be intense and demanding, and studying mathematics can be particularly challenging due to its abstract and theoretical nature. Additionally, the coursework and research in a mathematics program may require a high level of mathematical proficiency and a significant time commitment.

3. Will a mathematics degree in grad school limit my career options?

No, a mathematics degree can open up a wide range of career options. In addition to traditional careers in academia and research, graduates with a mathematics degree can also pursue careers in industries such as finance, technology, data science, and engineering.

4. How can I determine if a mathematics degree in grad school is the right choice for me?

It's important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making this decision. Research the curriculum and career outcomes of different mathematics programs, talk to current and former students, and consider seeking guidance from a career counselor.

5. What if I am still unsure about pursuing a mathematics degree in grad school?

It's okay to feel uncertain about such an important decision. Consider discussing your concerns with a mentor or academic advisor, and try taking some introductory mathematics courses to gauge your interest and aptitude in the subject. You can also consider taking a gap year to gain more clarity and experience before committing to grad school.