Unsure of what to do (undergrad related)

• Thread starter Protools
  • Start date
In summary, a first year university student studying biochemistry is considering switching to physics, as they have heard it is easier to maintain a higher GPA in. However, after looking into physics more, they have become increasingly interested in the subject. The student is also taking two introductory physics courses and attends a school known for its strong Math, Physics, Engineering, and Computer Science programs. The dilemma is that switching to a physics major would delay their entry into medical school by at least a year, and they are unsure if it is worth it. They must weigh the pros and cons of each option and consider the long-term effects on their career goals, as well as their passion and commitment to physics. Seeking advice from a professor or advisor may be helpful
Protools
im a first year student at university that's studying biochemistry but i have been contemplating since the start of school about whether i should switch into physics as an undergrad option or not.

I chose biochem because from what I've heard (and seen from the number of people that graduate with a physics degree), its much easier to get a higher GPA in, and that's crucial for medical school (for a numerous amount of reasons i want to become a medical doctor).

thing is that the more and more i look into physics, the more and more i become interested in it I did well in high school and I am also taking 2 physics courses now (granted they are only intro courses). Also, the school i attend is known for its Math/Physics/Engineering & CS so if i did choose to do physics, this would be the best school to do it at.

Physics news on Phys.org
My dilemma is that, if i do switch to physics, it would delay my entry into medical school by at least a year and I'm not sure if its worth it. It's a tough decision to make, and ultimately only you can decide what's best for you. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide which one will be most beneficial to you in the long run. If switching to a physics major will mean more time out of your medical school plans, it's important to think about how this might impact your career goals. You should also consider the academic challenges you may face in physics, and whether you have the drive and commitment to see it through. Additionally, you may want to ask yourself if you are truly passionate about physics and if it is something you could see yourself continuing to study throughout your career. Ultimately, it's important to take into consideration both the short-term and long-term effects of your decision. Consider talking to a professor or advisor who may be able to provide you with additional insight on this decision. Good luck!

Related to Unsure of what to do (undergrad related)

What should I major in as an undergraduate student?

The answer to this question will vary based on your interests and career goals. It is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and that aligns with your future plans. Consider meeting with a career counselor or taking career assessments to help guide your decision. Additionally, research potential majors and their corresponding job opportunities to gain a better understanding of what may be the best fit for you.

How do I know if I am choosing the right major?

It is normal to feel uncertain about your major choice. One way to determine if you are on the right path is by taking classes related to your major and seeing if you enjoy them. You can also speak with professors and upperclassmen in your intended major to gain insight into the coursework and potential career paths. Additionally, internships and job shadowing opportunities can help you gain hands-on experience in your field of interest.

Should I switch my major if I am not enjoying it?

If you are struggling to find interest in your current major, it may be worth considering a switch. However, before making a decision, it is important to reflect on why you are not enjoying your major. Is it the subject matter, the teaching style, or something else? You can also speak with academic advisors or career counselors for guidance. Keep in mind that switching majors may result in added time and credits to complete your degree, so consider all factors before making a final decision.

What are the most popular majors for undergraduates?

The most popular majors for undergraduates vary from year to year and can also differ among universities. Some common majors include business, psychology, biology, and engineering. However, it is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and career goals, rather than solely based on popularity.

Can I double major or minor in two different fields of study?

Yes, many universities allow students to double major or minor in two different fields of study. However, keep in mind that this may require additional time and coursework to complete. It is important to carefully plan and prioritize your academic workload if you choose to pursue a double major or minor. Additionally, speak with academic advisors to ensure that it is feasible and beneficial for your academic and career goals.