Unusual Limit: Understanding the Discrepancy in the Integral of xe^-x

In summary, the speaker initially accepted the idea of \int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx=1 quickly, but upon closer examination, they noticed that something was not right. They then attempted to use Integration by parts to solve it, but they made a mistake by imputing the wrong variable in their computation. The correct limit for \lim_{x \to \infty} xe^{-x} is 0.
flux!
This was just very basic, I have accepted it in just a heartbeat, but when I tried to chopped it and examined one by one, somethings fishy is happening, this just involved [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx=1.[/tex]

Well, when we do Integration by parts we will have [tex]let[/tex] [tex] u = x [/tex] [tex] du = dx [/tex] [tex]dv = e^{-x}dx[/tex] [tex]v = -e^{-x}[/tex] so that would give us [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx= - x e^{-x} + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x}dx [/tex] evaluating the second term will just yield 1, so, [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx= - x e^{-x} + 1,[/tex] the second term should yield zero by employing limits as x approaches infinity, [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty }xe^{-x}=0 [/tex] but whoa, it didn't. I will yield instead [tex]1/e[/tex] Where did I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
flux! said:
This was just very basic, I have accepted it in just a heartbeat, but when I tried to chopped it and examined one by one, somethings fishy is happening, this just involved [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx=1.[/tex]

Well, when we do Integration by parts we will have let [tex] u = x [/tex] [tex] du = dx [/tex] [tex]dv = e^{-x}dx[/tex] [tex]v = -e^{-x}[/tex] so that would give us [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx= - x e^{-x} + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x}dx [/tex] evaluating the second term will just yield 1, so, [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x e^{-x}dx= - x e^{-x} + 1,[/tex] the second term should yield zero by employing limits as x approaches infinity, [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty }xe^{-x}=0 [/tex] but whoa, it didn't. I will yield instead [tex]1/e[/tex] Where did I went wrong?
It's not clear what you're asking.
##\lim_{x \to \infty} xe^{-x} = 0## is correct. Are you getting 1/e for this limit? If so, that's where you went wrong.

I get it now, I am imputing the wrong variable from my computer, indeed lim xe^{-x} as x approaches infinity indeed gives 0.

1. What is the value of the unusual limit involving e?

The value of the unusual limit involving e is approximately 1.3591409.

2. How is the unusual limit involving e calculated?

The unusual limit involving e is calculated using the formula lim (1+1/n)^n, where n approaches infinity.

3. Why is the unusual limit involving e considered unusual?

The unusual limit involving e is considered unusual because it is a limit that involves both the number e and the concept of infinity, which are both unique and often used in advanced mathematical concepts.

4. What is the significance of the unusual limit involving e?

The unusual limit involving e is significant because it is used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus and number theory, and it has applications in real world problems, including compound interest and population growth.

5. What are some alternative ways to express the unusual limit involving e?

The unusual limit involving e can also be expressed as lim (1+1/n)^n = e, or as the limit of the exponential function f(x) = (1+1/n)^n as n approaches infinity.