Observing Unusual Red Star in Scorpius Constellation

• Thread starter Kazza_765
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help in identifying a star with a strong red tint in the sky. They believe it may be part of the constellation Scorpius and have checked online for information. They also mention that the star appears to be different from other nearby stars and have observed it for multiple nights. Another person responds and suggests that it may be Antares, a bright yellowish star, and provides a link for more information. The original person thanks them and confirms that it is indeed Antares.
Kazza_765
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask such questions, but hopefully someone here can fill me in.
I've noticed a star in the sky with a strong red tint to it. Venus is clearly visible, and this star is located just slightly higher. Its quite bright, one of the first dozen or so visible in the evenings, and I think its probably part of the constellation Scorpius, or if not, located within it. Can anyone here tell me if this is a star I am observing, and if so, why it appears to be coloured red. I've checked Heaven's Above, and can't find anything listed there.
At first I thought it might be some sort of local atmospheric effect, but none of the nearby stars exhibit the same colour. I have also observed it several nights in a row now.
Thankyou if anyone can help me with this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thankyou very much. That's it alright, I found out a bit more about it too.

1. What is the unusual red star in the Scorpius constellation?

The unusual red star in the Scorpius constellation is known as Antares. It is a red supergiant star, located approximately 600 light-years away from Earth. It is the brightest star in the constellation and is easily recognizable due to its distinctive red color.

2. Why is Antares considered unusual?

Antares is considered unusual because it is a red supergiant star, which is a rare type of star. It is also one of the largest stars known, with a diameter that is approximately 700 times that of our Sun. Additionally, Antares has a high mass and is nearing the end of its life cycle, making it an interesting object for scientific study.

3. Can we see Antares with the naked eye?

Yes, Antares is one of the brightest stars in the night sky and can easily be seen with the naked eye. It is located in the constellation Scorpius, which is visible in the southern sky during the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere.

4. How does Antares compare to our Sun?

Antares is much larger and more massive than our Sun. While the diameter of our Sun is approximately 1.4 million kilometers, Antares has a diameter of about 975 million kilometers. It also has a much higher mass, estimated to be about 12 times that of our Sun.

5. Is Antares important for any scientific research?

Yes, Antares is an important object for scientific research. As a red supergiant star, it provides valuable insights into the late stages of a star's life and the processes involved in stellar evolution. It is also used as a reference star for other astronomical observations and has been studied extensively by astronomers using various telescopes and instruments.