Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof that if $f$ is integrable and $k \in \mathbb{R}$, then $kf$ is also integrable and $\int_a^b{(kf)}=k \int_a^b{f}$. The identity used in the proof is $U(kf,P)=k \cdot U(f,P)$ for $k>0$ and $U(kf,P)=m \cdot \Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)sup((-f))([t_i,t_{i+1}])$ for $k<0$. The last relation is found to be equal to $m \cdot \
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the proof that if $f$ is integrable and $k \in \mathbb{R}$,then $kf$ is also integrable and $\int_a^b{(kf)}=k \int_a^b{f}$.

The following identity is used at my textbook:
$$U(kf,P)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
k \cdot U(f,P), \text{ if } k>0\\
k \cdot L(f,P), \text{ if } k<0
\end{matrix}\right.\text{ and } L(kf,P)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
k \cdot L(f,P), \text{ if } k>0\\
k \cdot U(f,P), \text{ if } k<0
\end{matrix}\right.$$

For $k>0$ it is like that: $U(kf,P)=\Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)sup(kf)([t_i,t_{i+1}])=k \cdot \Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)sup(f)([t_i,t_{i+1}])=k \cdot U(f,P)$For $k<0$,let $k=-m,m>0$.We have: $U(kf,P)=\Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)sup(m(-f))([t_i,t_{i+1}])=m \cdot \Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)sup((-f))([t_i,t_{i+1}])$

Is the last relation equal to $m \cdot \Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)inf(f)([t_i,t_{i+1}])$?? But,if it was like that,$U(kf,P)=m \cdot L(f,P)=-k \cdot L(f,P)$..Or am I wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\sup_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}(-f) = - \inf_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}f$$

ThePerfectHacker said:
$$\sup_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}(-f) = - \inf_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}f$$

A ok.. :) And what's with $\inf_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}(-f)$ ? Is it equal to $- \sup_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}f$ ?? :confused:

evinda said:
A ok.. :) And what's with $\inf_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}(-f)$ ? Is it equal to $- \sup_{[t_{k-1},t_k]}f$ ?? :confused:

Yes. To see why here is an exercise.

Exercise: Let $A$ be a non-empty bounded set of real numbers. Define $-A = \{ -a ~ | a\in A\}$, the set of negatives of $A$. Show that $-A$ is a bounded set also, and $\sup(-A) = -\inf A$ and $\inf(-A) = -\sup A$.

Hello! I can confirm that your approach is correct. The last relation should indeed be equal to $m \cdot \Sigma_{i=0}^{n-1}(t_{i+1}-t_i)inf(f)([t_i,t_{i+1}])$. This means that $U(kf,P)=-k \cdot L(f,P)$, which is in line with the identity given in your textbook. Keep up the good work!

Related to Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral

1. What is the Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral?

The Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and calculating the sum of the areas of these rectangles. It is a fundamental concept in integral calculus.

2. How is the Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral calculated?

The Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral is calculated by dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals, then finding the maximum and minimum values of the function on each subinterval. The sum of the areas of the rectangles formed by these maximum and minimum values is then taken to approximate the area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of the Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral?

The Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral is significant because it allows us to approximate the area under a curve, which is often impossible to find using traditional methods. It is also a crucial step in evaluating definite integrals and solving various real-world problems.

4. What is the difference between the Upper and Lower sums in the Riemann Integral?

The Upper sum in the Riemann Integral is the sum of the areas of rectangles formed by the maximum values of the function on each subinterval. The Lower sum, on the other hand, is the sum of the areas of rectangles formed by the minimum values of the function on each subinterval. The Upper sum will always overestimate the area, while the Lower sum will always underestimate it.

5. What is the relationship between the Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral and the definite integral?

The Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral is used to approximate the area under a curve, while the definite integral gives the exact value of the area. As the number of subintervals used in the Upper-Lower sum increases, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the value of the definite integral. In other words, the Upper-Lower sum of Riemann Integral is a limit of Riemann Sums, which is the basis for evaluating definite integrals.