UPS Cost Cutting - Peddler Benefits From Fuel Savings?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary: The guy who has the job of lugging the big cart full of packages delivered to the central receiving facility in our building up to all the different departments twice a day would probably appreciate it if the cart was hitched to a bicycle.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today I saw a UPS man on a bicycle towing a trailer full of packages. Do you suppose that the driver... I mean peddler... gets a cut of the fuel savings, or does he just get the benifit of the exercise.

Physics news on Phys.org
either way, you'll never see a delivery guy out of shape. a neighbor of mine that had been fat all his life got a job driving a truck where he has to get out and deliver packages all day. for the first time ever, he's not fat.

Integral said:
Today I saw a UPS man on a bicycle towing a trailer full of packages. Do you suppose that the driver... I mean peddler... gets a cut of the fuel savings, or does he just get the benifit of the exercise.

That's a neat idea. Was this in a city that they were doing this? Aside from the fuel, it seems it might actually save time and parking tickets (at least in NYC, delivery trucks aren't exempt from parking tickets). When there's a ton of traffic and no parking in a city, peddling a cart around for deliveries might not be a bad idea to get around faster. I guess the key would be if the cart is small enough to bring the bike and cart into the lobby of the buildings where they are delivering. Otherwise, leaving an unattended cart full of packages on the sidewalk sounds like a thief's dream. :uhh:

The guy who has the job of lugging the big cart full of packages delivered to the central receiving facility in our building up to all the different departments twice a day would probably appreciate it if the cart was hitched to a bicycle.

Actually, it would probably be a great idea for mail carriers too...especially ones who have walking routes. I'd recommend a tricycle rather than bicycle, just for safety sake, but wouldn't it be better for them to get to pedal a bike with a cart in tow than to lug around those heavy bags of mail that probably really do a number on their backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they cut costs by simply not caring about your package at all and having a quota of packages that are "lost in transit" or whatever.

1. How does UPS plan to cut costs?

UPS plans to cut costs by implementing fuel-saving strategies, such as using more fuel-efficient vehicles, optimizing delivery routes, and investing in alternative fuel sources.

2. Will these cost-cutting measures affect UPS employees?

While the details of the cost-cutting plan have not been fully disclosed, it is expected that some employees may be affected. However, UPS has stated that they will work to minimize any negative impact on their employees.

3. How will the cost-cutting measures benefit peddlers?

The cost-cutting measures, particularly the use of more fuel-efficient vehicles, will lead to savings for UPS. These savings will then be passed on to independent peddlers who use their own vehicles to deliver UPS packages, as they will receive a portion of the fuel savings.

4. What is the expected timeline for these cost-cutting measures to take effect?

UPS has not provided a specific timeline for the implementation of these cost-cutting measures. However, they have stated that they are committed to implementing these changes as quickly and efficiently as possible.

5. How will the cost-cutting measures impact the environment?

The use of more fuel-efficient vehicles and alternative fuel sources will have a positive impact on the environment by reducing carbon emissions. Additionally, the optimization of delivery routes will also decrease the number of vehicles on the road, further reducing pollution and carbon footprint.