Upside down falling body problem

In summary, assuming a rocket with a velocity of 500 feet/sec and neglecting air resistance, the problem of determining how high it will travel is solvable by assuming constant acceleration from gravity. By converting to metric and using g = 9.81 m/s^2, we can calculate that after approximately 15.5 seconds, the rocket will start to fall back to earth. It would also be possible to calculate the time before it hits the ground and the height it reaches using this method.
kmarlow123
A rocket shoots upward with a velocity of 500 feet/sec. Neglecting air resistance, how high will it travel? Is that even enough info to solve the problem? I don't remember how to solve that.

Physics news on Phys.org
kmarlow123 said:
A rocket shoots upward with a velocity of 500 feet/sec. Neglecting air resistance, how high will it travel? Is that even enough info to solve the problem? I don't remember how to solve that.
Well, if you assume that it left the launch pad at 500 feet/sec, and there's no thrust at that point, and assume constant acceleration from gravity, it's solvable. Not a very realistic scenario, but there you are.

Forgive me for converting to metric, but I despise doing anything with the imperial system. So let's say 500 feet/sec is about 152 meters/sec. You want the point where it starts to fall to earth. At that point, the velocity should be 0.

Gravity is about g = 9.81 m/s^2 and is constant. t is time, a is acceleration, and v is velocity.

-g = a = -9.81 m/s^2

Now take the integral with respect to t. You get v = -9.81t + C. At t = 0, we know v = 152 m/s, so 152 = -9.81(t) + C. So C = 152, giving an integral of v = -9.81t + 152.

Ok, now you need to know when it will be zero. So:

0 = -9.81t + 152

Solving for t, we get t = -152 / -9.81 = 15.5

So after about 15.5 seconds, it should start to fall back to earth.

Note that you can solve this pretty easily by thinking it through, however. I thought I'd show you how to solve this class of problem in general, but it shouldn't be hard to just think "Oh, 152 m/s, and it will lose 9.81 m/s every second, so to get to 0 velocity, it takes 152 / 9.81 = 15.5".

If you understood this, you can also tell me how long before it hits the ground, right? :) In fact, you should also know how to tell me how far up it went.

On a side note, this would be much more readable if I could get tex formatting working. It keeps showing some old equation for some reason.

1. What is the upside down falling body problem?

The upside down falling body problem is a physics problem that involves a body falling under the influence of gravity, starting from an initial position with an initial velocity and accelerating downwards towards a surface. This problem is often used to study the effects of gravity and air resistance on falling objects.

2. How do you solve the upside down falling body problem?

To solve the upside down falling body problem, you can use the equations of motion, which take into account the initial position, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations can be solved numerically or graphically to determine the position and velocity of the falling body at any given time.

3. What factors affect the motion of a falling body?

The motion of a falling body is affected by several factors, including the initial position and velocity of the body, the acceleration due to gravity, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors that can affect the motion include the mass and shape of the body, as well as external forces such as wind or friction.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling body?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a falling body. As the body falls, it pushes air molecules out of the way, which creates a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force increases as the speed of the falling body increases, and it can significantly affect the motion of the body, especially for objects with a large surface area.

5. Can the upside down falling body problem be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, the upside down falling body problem has many real-world applications, such as in sports, engineering, and transportation. For example, it can be used to predict the trajectory of a ball thrown in a game or the impact of a falling object on a structure. Understanding the principles of this problem can also help in designing safer and more efficient modes of transportation, such as parachutes and airbags.