Upthrust calculations for hovercraft

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the upthrust for a r/c model hovercraft using pressure and area equations. Other factors such as air cushion pressure, fan/motor specifications, and skirt design were also mentioned. However, the conversation concluded with the suggestion to experimentally measure the thrust using an electronic scale.
nuttall86
Hi,
usually don't ask for help but this is bugging me now!
I am working on a r/c model hovercraft, i have been trying to work out the upthrust but can not get a formula to do so.
I know the air cushion pressure is a factor, i am using a ducted fan for upthrust with attatched 9 v motor.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

cheers
nuttall86

Physics news on Phys.org
An estimate could be made from the cushion pressure, and the pressure from the mass of air that the fan can shift ( its usually stated with the fan/motor if its a complete assembly ).

Pressure = Force/Area

Upthrust (F) = Pressure x Area

Your hover craft skirt dimensions and its weight will be factors also.

Weight = mass x 9.81

Youll want a nice balence between weight and upthrust and skirt area.

If you know the mass of air your fan can shift, you can calculate the skirt pressure. Though if you make sure its over rated and you can vary the speed, you can just find it experimentally.

The pressure will depend on the skirt design, so you can play about with that.

You could make more detailed estimates if needed, sorry if this isn't enough, my level of physics is poor.

Likes john7 7lovell
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the same thing, but I have no idea how to work out the pressure. If my engine output is 780m^3/h, where do I go from there? I can do the velocity pressure, which works out to about 2 kg, but I am stumped when it comes to the static pressure. Anybody know?

If you are trying to calculate this analytically, good luck. Get yourself an electronic scale and try to measure the thrust with your model.

1. What is upthrust and why is it important in hovercraft?

Upthrust is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. In the context of hovercraft, it is the force that allows the hovercraft to float on the surface of the water or air. Without upthrust, the hovercraft would sink.

2. How is upthrust calculated for hovercraft?

Upthrust is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid (e.g. air or water) by the volume of fluid displaced by the hovercraft. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

3. What factors affect the upthrust in a hovercraft?

The main factors that affect upthrust in a hovercraft are the weight of the hovercraft, the volume of air or water displaced, and the density of the fluid. These factors can be manipulated to adjust the amount of upthrust and therefore control the height and stability of the hovercraft.

4. How does upthrust differ between air and water in hovercraft?

Upthrust in air is generally easier to calculate than in water, as air is less dense and therefore exerts less force on the hovercraft. However, the shape and design of the hovercraft can also have an impact on upthrust in water, as the hull design can create air pockets that decrease the amount of water displaced and therefore decrease the upthrust.

5. Can upthrust be used to calculate the weight of a hovercraft?

Yes, upthrust can be used to indirectly calculate the weight of a hovercraft. By measuring the amount of upthrust needed to keep the hovercraft afloat and knowing the density of the fluid, the weight of the hovercraft can be calculated using Archimedes' principle.