1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Existence and Uniqueness theorem

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    Greating my friends,

I have just returned home today from heart surgery.

I still feeling the effects of the operation, because I'm affried the hospital send me home a bit to early. But I have to have these questions finished before tomorrow.

So therefore I would very much appriciate if somebody could help me answer these questions?

(a)

(I use the triangle inequality in (1) and (3)?)

Let I be a open interval and f: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n be a continious function.

Let || \cdot || be a given norm on \mathbb{R}^n.

Show the following:

1) If there exists a C>0 then ||x|| \leq C ||C||_1; x \in \mathbb{R}^n, ||x|| _1 = \sum _{j=1} ^n |x_j|

2) The mapping I \ni t \rightarrow ||f(t)|| \in \mathbb{R} is continious on.

3) for all t1,t2 \in \ || \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} f(t) dt|| \leq | \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} ||f(t)||dt|

(b)

Looking at the system(*) of equations,

x1' = (a-bx2)* x1
    x2' = (cx1 -d)*x2

open the open Quadrant K; here a,b,c and d er positive constants.

I need to show that the system can be integrated. Which means I need to show that there exist a C^1 -function, with the properties F:U \rightarrow \mathbb{R}, where U \subseteq K is open and close in K(close means that for every point in K, is a limit point for q sequence, whos elements belongs to K). Such that gradient F \notequal 0 for alle x \in U and such that F is constant for trajectories of system.

Finally I need to conclude that every max trajectory is contained in a compact subset of K, and that the system (*) field X: R \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2.

Sincerley Yours
    Maria Thomson 20

p.s. I'm so sorry for asking so much, but has been such a difficult couple of days for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm just going to copy and past your post, adding in TeX tags so I can read your questions:

Greating my friends,

I have just returned home today from heart surgery.

I still feeling the effects of the operation, because I'm affried the hospital send me home a bit to early. But I have to have these questions finished before tomorrow.

So therefore I would very much appriciate if somebody could help me answer these questions?

(a)

(I use the triangle inequality in (1) and (3)?)

Let I be a open interval and [itex]f: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be a continious function.

Let [itex]|| \cdot ||[/itex] be a given norm on [itex]\mathbb{R}^n.[/itex]

Show the following:

1) If there exists a C>0 then [itex]||x|| \leq C ||C||_1; x \in \mathbb{R}^n, ||x|| _1 = \sum _{j=1} ^n |x_j|[/itex]

2) The mapping [itex]I \ni t \rightarrow ||f(t)|| \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continious on.

3) for all [itex]t_1,t_2 \in \ || \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} f(t) dt|| \leq | \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} ||f(t)||dt|[/itex]

(b)

Looking at the system(*) of equations,

x1' = (a-bx2)* x1
    x2' = (cx1 -d)*x2

open the open Quadrant K; here a,b,c and d er positive constants.

I need to show that the system can be integrated. Which means I need to show that there exist a [itex]C^1[/itex] -function, with the properties [itex]F:U \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], where [itex]U \subseteq K[/itex] is open and close in K(close means that for every point in K, is a limit point for q sequence, whos elements belongs to K). Such that [itex]\nabla F \notequal 0[/itex] for alle [itex]x \in U[/itex] and such that F is constant for trajectories of system.

Finally I need to conclude that every max trajectory is contained in a compact subset of K, and that the system (*) field [itex]X: R \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex].

Sincerley Yours
    Maria Thomson 20

p.s. I'm so sorry for asking so much, but has been such a difficult couple of days for me.

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Hi

I'm sorry, but I have these answered within the next 4 hours, so if there somebody here who can help me I would be very greatful.

Sincerely Yours and God bless

MT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?