US Internship Application - a question for Americans.

In summary, the conversation is about the application process for a REU internship at Caltech. The application is an online form that includes a section for "Research Experience" where applicants can paste their resume or other materials. The first question asked is what counts as relevant research experience for a Physics internship, to which it is advised to outline any previous physics-related activities. The second question is what an American student would typically post in the "Research Experience" section, to which it is suggested to focus on the physics internship from last summer and not include a full resume since the section is only a text box. The conversation also mentions the eligibility for non-US citizens to apply for the internship and the competitiveness of the application process. In summary, the conversation covers
tarnhelm
Hello, I'm intending to apply for an REU internship at Caltech for next summer, and I have a question that somebody American might be able to help me with.

The application is an online application which asks for your name, address, programming languages etc. It seems like the application is a sort of pre-constructed resume. Yet there's a box in it which asks for "Research Experience" and which says "you may paste your resume or other materials". Here's a link: https://nebula.ligo.caltech.edu/surf/

Two questions:

Firstly, what counts as relevant research experience here for a Physics internship? I did a Philosophy degree years ago which involved researching existentialism to write an undergraduate thesis - would this count as research experience? The only Physics-related experience I have is an internship I did last summer. It's not common for students in the UK to get a lot of undergrad research experience other than an internship the summer before your final year.

Secondly, what would an American student ordinarily post in that box? As a citizen of a foreign land, I'm tempted to take it literally and just write down the details of the internship I did last year. However, would it be expected that I'd post a detailed resume outlining extracurricular activities, academic prizes won, previous non-Physics-related jobs, etc., and including a covering letter? It seems like if they wanted this they'd put a section for it, but I'm not entirely sure what would be expected in the US. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would outline what you did for your physics internship last summer. Your philosophy research is not relevant here. If you have any other physics related activities that you think might help your application then I would list them here also. I don't think they want the full blown resume as this is only a text box and not something where you can upload files to.

If you have a degree already, you are not an undergraduate.

If it's an actual REU, i.e. part of the NSF-funded REU program, you need to be a US citizen. If they have some outside funding, this may not be quite so strict, but things will be much more competitive.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you have a degree already, you are not an undergraduate.

If it's an actual REU, i.e. part of the NSF-funded REU program, you need to be a US citizen. If they have some outside funding, this may not be quite so strict, but things will be much more competitive.

This REU is the only one I've found that's available to non-US citizens, so that's not an issue. I'm not sure how the system works in the US, but I got a degree years ago, decided it was useless, so enrolled as a Physics undergrad. I would, therefore, be classified as an undergraduate in the UK.

You would not be classified as an undergrad here.

And don't think your citizenship is not an issue. If they have money for N students from the NSF and M from elsewhere, then there are N+M slots open for US citizens, but only M for non-citizens. You should expect that N >> M.

Vanadium 50 said:
You would not be classified as an undergrad here.

And don't think your citizenship is not an issue. If they have money for N students from the NSF and M from elsewhere, then there are N+M slots open for US citizens, but only M for non-citizens. You should expect that N >> M.

Well I can always apply and give it a go. I've seen an FAQ relating to another REU program which states that you can apply during a second degree as long as the first was in an area unrelated to Physics, so obviously it's not forbidden by the rules of the REU program on a national level.

Also, it actually says that most internships are set aside specifically for US citizens, but some are not, and it is these to which I am applying.

Last edited:
Do whatever the heck you want. It seems you have your mind made up, and you were really not looking for answers to questions: you wanted your previously held beliefs to be reinforced. Not exactly a good attitude for a prospective scientist, but whatever.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do whatever the heck you want. It seems you have your mind made up, and you were really not looking for answers to questions: you wanted your previously held beliefs to be reinforced. Not exactly a good attitude for a prospective scientist, but whatever.

Actually I asked advice about different matters. I don't require advice about whether or not I'm eligible to apply because I'm pretty sure I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:

There are a bunch of REUs' open for eligible non-citizens. You don't necessarily have to be a US citizen, if you have a green card and you are eligible for citizenship then you are allowed. It depends on the REU though, I've opened up one where it said "US citizen" as one of the requirements, I quickly closed it. What I know for sure is that the SULI internship allows for eligible non-citizens to apply.

But yeah if the REU says that eligible non-citizens can apply then OP is fine. Best of luck tarnhelm, I would hope that being one doesn't lower your chances.

Related to US Internship Application - a question for Americans.

1. What are the requirements for an internship in the US?

The specific requirements for a US internship may vary depending on the company or organization you are applying to. However, common requirements may include a minimum GPA, relevant coursework or experience, and work authorization in the US. It is important to carefully review the internship posting and follow the instructions for application.

2. How do I find internship opportunities in the US?

There are many ways to find internship opportunities in the US. You can search online job boards, company websites, or career fairs. It may also be helpful to network with professionals in your field or use university resources such as career centers or alumni networks.

3. Is it necessary to have previous work experience for a US internship?

While previous work experience may be preferred by some companies, it is not always necessary for a US internship. Many internships are designed for students or recent graduates with limited work experience. It is important to highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or extracurricular activities on your application.

4. Are internships in the US paid?

Internship compensation in the US varies depending on the company and industry. Some internships may offer a salary or hourly wage, while others may offer a stipend or just cover expenses. It is important to research the specific internship you are applying for to understand the compensation structure.

5. How can I make my US internship application stand out?

To make your US internship application stand out, it is important to customize your resume and cover letter for each specific opportunity. Highlight your relevant skills and experiences, and provide specific examples of how you can contribute to the company. Additionally, networking and building relationships within the company or industry can also help your application stand out.