US Physics Olympiad qualifying exam (Mechanics)?

So I read Irodov was the best prep for the Physics Olympiad, but what if I'm in Physics B and just completed a semester's worth of mechanics? I'm currently in Pre-Calculus if that matters.

Another thread I read says most problems can be solved using differential eqs. but neither my current Physics or Pre-Cal class have touched that yet. Will I have to learn Calculus all on my own in the span of 2 weeks if I have any hope of doing well on the Olympiad?

Answers and Replies

Competition Math/Science is wack.

Just work through the problems on your own for fun. I mean if you do well, you do, but if not, it means little more than that you can't figure out tricks quickly under time pressure.

It can be fun though!!

I qualified without studying and only in Physics B with no calculus, so don't worry about the "lack of preparation". In my opinion, it's just luck whether you qualify or not.

p.s. Quantumpencil I think I know you :-)

I have a blog that contains some physics problems. I think its good to prepare yourself for olympiad.
Here is the link:
http://collectionofphysicsproblems.blogspot.com/" [Broken]

Maybe this can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
It can be fun though!!

I qualified without studying and only in Physics B with no calculus, so don't worry about the "lack of preparation". In my opinion, it's just luck whether you qualify or not.

I know this is kind of an old post but, how was the test?

Haha, yeah...

I didn't study at all, but that wasn't the problem 9/10 times.

I must just suck too much at physics, not to mention my teacher...

A few problems I thought were quite easy, but the others were mind boggling. I'm sure the calculus part wasn't even one of the main difficulties in the test for me. Guess I need more practice for next year...

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
how exactly was the test? hard? super hard?

what kind of math was involved? is it harder than an AP Physics C test?

It was pretty damn hard as only one person outta all the Physcs B and C classes qualified... My school isn't the best at Physics, but they don't all failt Physics C AP either. It's considerably harder than Physics C AP, that's for sure.

Impossible? Not at all. I think some intensive studying would help quite a lot. Find hard problems and do them.

If I remember right, I took this test my junior year in high school 3 years ago.

If it was the same test you are talking about (it was ~3-5 hours)...it was HARD. no one from my school qualified my year. One person made it past qualifying round the year before me, and she was a complete genius.

It was much harder than the AP C test. Not impossible though, none of us who took it put any effort into studying for it; I think it is possible looking back on it now.

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
How was it hard? Was is the math involved?

Hey, since the test name is "F=ma (Mechanics)", does the test include only mechanics?

Yes, it was only mechanics. It had problems involving moment of inertia problems, center of mass, angular momentum, prety much the areas that usually give students the most trouble. I remember there was a question on load transfer of a bicycle, which at the time I was clueless as to how to solve.

Nothing was straight forward, everything combined different concepts and they were all word problems, everything required "interpretation" in the free response section.

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
How about the math involved? Only calculus? Or does it go further to differential equations?

I am not sure if it covered differential equations, at the time I didnt know what they were :p

Calculus was a definate yes though.

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I am not sure if it covered differential equations, at the time I didnt know what they were :p

Calculus was a definate yes though.

well the guy below me said he qualified WITHOUT Calculus

It can be fun though!!

i guess i stand corrected then

So I read Irodov was the best prep for the Physics Olympiad, but what if I'm in Physics B and just completed a semester's worth of mechanics? I'm currently in Pre-Calculus if that matters.

Another thread I read says most problems can be solved using differential eqs. but neither my current Physics or Pre-Cal class have touched that yet. Will I have to learn Calculus all on my own in the span of 2 weeks if I have any hope of doing well on the Olympiad?
i want problems in physics. can you help me.

Wow, a thread I started from nearly 2 years ago is still alive (err, rather, has been revived).

The qualifying exam isn't impossibly hard, but since I didn't know any calculus I was at a huge disadvantage. A small portion of it was pure trigonometric and algebraic physics. Best advice? Practice the toughest problems in your textbook until you do them correctly in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sure the actual competition is much more difficult.