Use algebra to find the x and y intercepts , for a quadratic equation

The x intercepts are (-5, 0) and (6, 0) and the y-intercept is (0, 6).In summary, the conversation involved using algebra to find the x-intercepts and y-intercept of a given parabola. The steps involved finding the y-intercept by substituting 0 for x in the equation and then solving for y. For the x-intercepts, the method of factoring was used after multiplying the equation by the least common denominator and then multiplying by -1. The resulting x-intercepts were (-5, 0) and (6, 0) and the y-intercept was (0, 6).
duggielanger

Homework Statement

Use algebra to find the x-intercepts and y-intercept of The graph of y=-x^2/5+x/5+6
this is a parabola.

Homework Equations

y=-x^2/5+x/5+6

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the y-intercept , which is substitute 0=x into the equation to find the answer , done that .
The problem I have is where to start to find the x-intercept , I know that y=0 so I now have x^2/5+x/5+6=0 , but believe I can't now factorise this equation and will have to first clear the fractions first . Is this the right place to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
duggielanger said:

Homework Statement

Use algebra to find the x-intercepts and y-intercept of The graph of y=x^2/5+x/5+6
this is a parabola.

Homework Equations

y=x^2/5+x/5+6

Find the y-intercept , which is substitute 0=x into the equation to find the answer , done that .
The problem I have is where to start to find the x-intercept , I know that y=0 so I now have x^2/5+x/5+6=0 , but believe I can't now factorise this equation and will have to first clear the fractions first . Is this the right place to start.

Sounds a good place to me. What do you then get? Have you learned e.g. completing the square, or the quadratic formula yet?

Not answered the question yet ,and not done them yet they are coming up in the section.
Will try and find the answer in a bit and post my results .

Hint: since one side of the equation=0, you can easily multiply both sides by 5, and then -1...

duggielanger said:

Homework Statement

Use algebra to find the x-intercepts and y-intercept of The graph of y=-x^2/5+x/5+6
this is a parabola.

Homework Equations

y=-x^2/5+x/5+6

Note that you've dropped the minus sign on the coefficient of the [itex]x^2[/itex] term the last time you wrote that (in bold). That minus sign is all-important. Without that, you don't have an x-intercept!

yeah thank you for that i will remember the minus sign

Once you have done what e^pi i + 1= 0 suggested, multiplying the entire equation by -5, you will have a quadratic equation with integer coefficients that is easy to factor.

Ah right think I have it now , multiply by the least common denominator, which is 5, which leaves me with -x^2+x-30=0 and the by -1 to get x^2-x-30=0 and then factor to get (x+5)(x-6).
Thank you everyone

duggielanger said:
Ah right think I have it now , multiply by the least common denominator, which is 5, which leaves me with -x^2+x-30=0
No, you get -x^2+ x+ 30 but then your next is correct:
and the by -1 to get x^2-x-30=0 and then factor to get (x+5)(x-6).
Thank you everyone
Yes, that is correct.

1. How do I find the x-intercept of a quadratic equation?

To find the x-intercept of a quadratic equation, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the value of x where the equation crosses the x-axis.

2. What is the significance of the x-intercept in a quadratic equation?

The x-intercept represents the point where the graph of the quadratic equation crosses the x-axis. It is also known as the root or solution of the equation and can provide valuable information about the behavior of the equation.

3. How do I find the y-intercept of a quadratic equation?

To find the y-intercept of a quadratic equation, set x equal to 0 and solve for y. This will give you the value of y where the equation crosses the y-axis.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than one x-intercept?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have two x-intercepts if the graph of the equation crosses the x-axis at two different points. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than 0.

5. How can I use the x and y-intercepts to graph a quadratic equation?

To graph a quadratic equation using the x and y-intercepts, plot the x-intercepts as points on the x-axis and the y-intercept as a point on the y-axis. Then, use the shape of the parabola and the direction of the opening to sketch the rest of the graph.