1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use algebra to find the x and y intercepts , for a quadratic equation

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use algebra to find the x-intercepts and y-intercept of The graph of y=-x^2/5+x/5+6
    this is a parabola.

2. Relevant equations
    y=-x^2/5+x/5+6

3. The attempt at a solution
    Find the y-intercept , which is substitute 0=x into the equation to find the answer , done that .
    The problem I have is where to start to find the x-intercept , I know that y=0 so I now have x^2/5+x/5+6=0 , but believe I can't now factorise this equation and will have to first clear the fractions first . Is this the right place to start.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2012 #2

Sounds a good place to me. What do you then get? Have you learnt e.g. completing the square, or the quadratic formula yet?

4. Jul 7, 2012 #3
    Not answered the question yet ,and not done them yet they are coming up in the section.
    Will try and find the answer in a bit and post my results .

5. Jul 7, 2012 #4
    Hint: since one side of the equation=0, you can easily multiply both sides by 5, and then -1...

6. Jul 7, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Note that you've dropped the minus sign on the coefficient of the [itex]x^2[/itex] term the last time you wrote that (in bold). That minus sign is all-important. Without that, you don't have an x-intercept!

7. Jul 7, 2012 #6
    yeah thank you for that i will remember the minus sign

8. Jul 7, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once you have done what e^pi i + 1= 0 suggested, multiplying the entire equation by -5, you will have a quadratic equation with integer coefficients that is easy to factor.

9. Jul 7, 2012 #8
    Ah right think I have it now , multiply by the least common denominator, which is 5, which leaves me with -x^2+x-30=0 and the by -1 to get x^2-x-30=0 and then factor to get (x+5)(x-6).
    Thank you everyone

10. Jul 7, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you get -x^2+ x+ 30 but then your next is correct:
    Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook