1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use an Induction Cooktop at different power supply's frequencies?

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody,

I want to buy a 3kW induction cooktop. The one I intend to buy requires a power source at 220V/60Hz. However, in my country, the main power is 220V/50Hz. Does this difference in frequency cause any incompatible problems? Can I use the induction cooktop in my country?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2
    It's of course a guess. But it seems that normally induction stoves rectify the voltage and then produce AC with something like 30kHz. Therefore it is quite likely that your stove would work with 50 Hz as the voltage is converted to DC anyhow.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

Yes, power will be rectified first. So I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. Depending on how the rectifier is built, changing input frequency might result in the slight change in operation of the generator for the main coil, but it's not going to be anything significant. The power output should remain the same, and even if the frequency shifts, it'd be too small to affect power absorption by the cookware.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook