1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of Gyro/Accelerometer for Boat Tilt Application?

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I'm looking to try to use a gyroscope to determine the rocking motion (just side to side - not back and forth) of a boat while it is travelling forward or sitting still in the water. Specifically, I'm looking for the boat's angle from vertical and this angle's velocity. Can I do this with just a (2-axis, 3 axis?) gyroscope? Or would I need a gyroscope as well as an accelerometer? Any experience with mounting gyro devices?

Thanks for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    The side to side movement is called rolling and the forward-aft is called pitching. Ships have been using gyros for this for a long long time.
    Every ship has it. Just buy it.

4. May 17, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I do know that most ships have this, I wanted to know if just a 3-axis gyroscope will do it, or should I get something that also has accelerometers?

5. May 17, 2015 #4
    Gyroscopes should give you the change of angle and acc.meters rate of change I think. If you are making one make it for all movement. Use a 3axis one. I'm sorry but I don't know much else about it.
    Level sensor apps on a smartphone can be reprogrammed to output on a scale. Though accuracy would be a concern

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. May 21, 2015 #5
    You would probably opt for a so-called strap-down gyro (it's not really a gyroscope). Consumer grade are usually memes. They're far cheaper. Everybody calls them gyroscopes, but they deliver different spatial information. A single strap-down will tell you how much the boat has rotated about a given axis. For pitch and roll, you'll need a minimum of two single axis memes or a dual axis meme unit.

7. May 22, 2015 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. May 22, 2015 #7
    Thanks for the replies! I would prefer if the sensor could work as J1939 CAN interface. Do you know of any devices like this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook