Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Use of R^2 adjusted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

Tags:
  1. Feb 23, 2017 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I am kind of confused at the fact that Excel uses the measurement of adjusted ## R^2 ## for simple
    linear regressions ; please see below. What does that even mean, what is the adjustment for?

upload_2017-2-23_18-57-9.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you consult the help file ? Anything there that specifically needs extra explanation ?

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I think WWGD question is more aimed at what does an adjusted R squared value mean in terms of a simple linear regression as opposed to what it means just in excel. The simple answer is that it means nothing. It's probably just part of the standard output but it should more or less be aligned with the regular r squared value since there isn't an adjustment being made per say. (i.e. as is the case in this example).

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I sure hope you are right. I resent people taxiing with 747s when they don't even have a driver's license. And even then there's a risk they inadvertently take off.

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, essentially what Marne said: adjusted R-squared, AFAIK, is used in OLS to avoid distortions when additional variables are included. How does this make sense when we only use one variable?

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Precisely. The adjustment is done for additional variables that are included, AFAIK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted