Use of R^2 adjusted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of adjusted R-squared in simple linear regressions in Excel. The participants are confused about the purpose of this adjustment, and whether it applies when only one variable is used. They also mention consulting the help file for further explanation. Ultimately, it is determined that the adjustment is typically made for when additional variables are included, but in the case of a single variable, it does not have much significance.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am kind of confused at the fact that Excel uses the measurement of adjusted ## R^2 ## for simple
linear regressions ; please see below. What does that even mean, what is the adjustment for?
upload_2017-2-23_18-57-9.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consult the help file ? Anything there that specifically needs extra explanation ?

I think WWGD question is more aimed at what does an adjusted R squared value mean in terms of a simple linear regression as opposed to what it means just in excel. The simple answer is that it means nothing. It's probably just part of the standard output but it should more or less be aligned with the regular r squared value since there isn't an adjustment being made per say. (i.e. as is the case in this example).

Likes WWGD
I sure hope you are right. I resent people taxiing with 747s when they don't even have a driver's license. And even then there's a risk they inadvertently take off.

BvU said:
Did you consult the help file ? Anything there that specifically needs extra explanation ?
Yes, essentially what Marne said: adjusted R-squared, AFAIK, is used in OLS to avoid distortions when additional variables are included. How does this make sense when we only use one variable?

Likes BvU
MarneMath said:
I think WWGD question is more aimed at what does an adjusted R squared value mean in terms of a simple linear regression as opposed to what it means just in excel. The simple answer is that it means nothing. It's probably just part of the standard output but it should more or less be aligned with the regular r squared value since there isn't an adjustment being made per say. (i.e. as is the case in this example).
Precisely. The adjustment is done for additional variables that are included, AFAIK.

1. What is R^2 adjusted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

R^2 adjusted is a statistical measure used to assess the goodness of fit of a simple linear regression model in Excel. It is a modified version of the standard R^2 value that takes into account the number of independent variables in the model.

2. How is R^2 adjusted calculated in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

R^2 adjusted is calculated by subtracting the number of independent variables in the model from 1, and then multiplying the result by the standard R^2 value. This adjusted value ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a better fit of the model to the data.

3. What is the significance of R^2 adjusted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

R^2 adjusted helps to determine the proportion of the variation in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variable(s) in the model. It is a useful tool for evaluating the performance of the model and comparing different models.

4. How is R^2 adjusted interpreted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

R^2 adjusted can be interpreted in a similar way to the standard R^2 value. For example, if R^2 adjusted is 0.75, it means that 75% of the variation in the dependent variable can be explained by the independent variable(s) in the model.

5. What are the limitations of using R^2 adjusted in Simple Linear Regression-Excel?

R^2 adjusted has some limitations, such as the fact that it can only be used for linear relationships between variables and may not be applicable for non-linear relationships. It also does not indicate the direction or strength of the relationship between variables, and should be used in conjunction with other statistical measures for a more comprehensive analysis.