Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of substitution for integration

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    I was wondering if there is a convenient way of checking if a substitution is correct or not.
    For example, I tried solving for ∫(1/(a^2-x^2)dx using two different substitutions, x=acosu and x=asinu giving different solutions. I got the integral as arcsin(x/a) using x=asinu and -arccos(x/a) using x=acosu. But which one of these is the correct one and how do I tackle this sort of problem if it arises again?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiating back, of course. In your question, the 2 solutions are related through a constant, as they should be. Can you guess it? How about derive it?

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

As dextercioby indicates, antiderivatives of a function are not unique. if the two answers differ by a constant then they could both be correct antiderivatives. (Consider things like [itex] sin(\theta) = cos( \frac{\pi}{2} - \theta) [/itex].)

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

arccos(x) + arcsin(x) = π/2.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5
    Alright, thanks for the input. I'm guessing that since sin(x)=cos(π/2-x), then:
    sin(x)=u, cos(π/2-x)=u
    arcsin(u)=x, arccos(u)=π/2-x
    So arcsin(u)+arccos(u)=x+π/2-x=π/2
    Since they differ by a constant ,then
    arcsin(x/a)+c=-arccos(x/a)
    arcsin(x/a)+arccos(x/a)=c=π/2

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook