Use of substitution for integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of antiderivatives and their uniqueness. It is mentioned that two different substitutions can result in different solutions for the same integral, but both can be correct if they differ by a constant. The conversation also explores the relationship between sin(x) and cos(x) and how it can be used to determine the constant in such cases.
Supernova123
I was wondering if there is a convenient way of checking if a substitution is correct or not.
For example, I tried solving for ∫(1/(a^2-x^2)dx using two different substitutions, x=acosu and x=asinu giving different solutions. I got the integral as arcsin(x/a) using x=asinu and -arccos(x/a) using x=acosu. But which one of these is the correct one and how do I tackle this sort of problem if it arises again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiating back, of course. In your question, the 2 solutions are related through a constant, as they should be. Can you guess it? How about derive it?

Supernova123 said:
But which one of these is the correct one and how do I tackle this sort of problem if it arises again?

As dextercioby indicates, antiderivatives of a function are not unique. if the two answers differ by a constant then they could both be correct antiderivatives. (Consider things like [itex] sin(\theta) = cos( \frac{\pi}{2} - \theta) [/itex].)

arccos(x) + arcsin(x) = π/2.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm guessing that since sin(x)=cos(π/2-x), then:
sin(x)=u, cos(π/2-x)=u
arcsin(u)=x, arccos(u)=π/2-x
So arcsin(u)+arccos(u)=x+π/2-x=π/2
Since they differ by a constant ,then
arcsin(x/a)+c=-arccos(x/a)
arcsin(x/a)+arccos(x/a)=c=π/2

Last edited:

What is substitution for integration?

Substitution for integration is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals by replacing the original variable with a new variable or expression. This makes it easier to integrate the function and find the antiderivative.

When is substitution for integration used?

Substitution for integration is used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is composed of a function and its derivative, or when the integrand can be rewritten in such a way that it becomes a composite function. It is also used when the integrand contains functions that can be simplified by using a substitution.

How does substitution for integration work?

Substitution for integration works by replacing the original variable in the integrand with a new variable or expression. This new variable is chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integrand and makes it easier to integrate. Once the integral is solved, the new variable is replaced by the original variable to get the final answer.

What are the steps for using substitution for integration?

The steps for using substitution for integration are:

1. Identify if the integrand is composed of a function and its derivative, or if it can be rewritten as a composite function.
  2. Choose a new variable or expression to substitute for the original variable.
  3. Find the derivative of the new variable or expression.
  4. Substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integral, and simplify the integrand.
  5. Integrate the simplified integral.
  6. Replace the new variable with the original variable to get the final answer.

What are common mistakes to avoid when using substitution for integration?

Common mistakes to avoid when using substitution for integration include:

• Forgetting to replace the new variable with the original variable in the final answer.
  • Choosing a new variable that does not simplify the integrand.
  • Forgetting to take the derivative of the new variable or expression.
  • Incorrectly performing algebraic simplifications in the integrand.
  • Using the wrong substitution for the given integral.