Useful and Extensive MPI tutorial/notes in FORTRAN

• Fortran
  • Thread starter sketos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for learning MPI in Fortran and parallel computing. The participants mention a tutorial, textbooks, online resources, and a book by Bisseling that focuses on the BSP-model. They also discuss the ease of using MPI for those who are fluent in Fortran and the challenge of parallelizing algorithms.
sketos
Hello Everyone,

I am a new user of MPI in fortran ( i have used fortran for an adequate time ) and I want to make myself familiar with the subject. Has anyone you stumbled upon a useful tutorial in MPI for fortran but simultaneously extensive ?

Or maybe someone has used a textbook that turned out to be useful in that topic?

Technology news on Phys.org
How about this one?

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/mpi/

this is one the best i could find online, but still doesn't cover many examples. I will have to post process a quite huge N-Body simulation and i assume i need to go deeper into the subject ...

You mean, you already looked into the links at bottom of the Wikipedia entry, too?
50-page pdf
150-page pdf

Then, there is also OpenMPI

Are you well versed in parallel computing?
Using MPI should be the easy part if you are 'fluent' in fortran, the hard part is parallelizing your computation/algorithm.

I'm not really aware of books focused on the MPI library.
This one is written in C but also has the code in fortran 77
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1558603395/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For another approach I can recommend the book by Bisseling.
It is mostly focused on the BSP-model which makes parallel programming quite easy even for me (I only had a course in C and some experience with simple monte carlo simulations before I started the book).
An appendix also explains how you can program in the BSP style using MPI primitives.

Likes sketos

1. What is MPI and why is it useful in FORTRAN programming?

MPI (Message Passing Interface) is a standardized communication protocol used in parallel computing. It allows multiple processors to communicate and coordinate with each other, making it useful for optimizing the performance of FORTRAN programs that require parallel processing.

2. Where can I find a comprehensive tutorial for using MPI in FORTRAN?

There are several online resources that offer useful and extensive tutorials for MPI in FORTRAN, such as the official MPI website, university websites, and programming forums. It is recommended to search for tutorials that are specific to the version of MPI and FORTRAN you are using.

3. What are some key concepts to understand when working with MPI in FORTRAN?

Some key concepts to understand when working with MPI in FORTRAN include message passing, communicators, ranks, and collective operations. It is also important to understand how to initialize and finalize MPI, as well as how to handle errors and debugging.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using MPI in FORTRAN?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using MPI in FORTRAN include not properly initializing and finalizing MPI, not using the correct data types for message passing, and not handling errors and debugging effectively. It is also important to understand the differences between sequential and parallel programming to avoid potential errors.

5. Can I use MPI in FORTRAN on different operating systems?

Yes, MPI is a portable protocol and can be used on different operating systems as long as they support parallel programming. However, it is recommended to check for any specific requirements or limitations for the version of MPI and FORTRAN you are using on a particular operating system.