1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a pendulum to find the distance to the sun

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello,

One or two years ago I had a mathematics lecture where one part of it was using basic formulae, a pendulum and the distance to the centre of the earth to find out what the distance to the sun was.

Recently, I came across a question which asked me to figure out the distance to the sun however it was far more complicated and used more advanced theories than the example I was shown in the lecture.

However, I can no longer precisely remember how to do it using the method in the lecture but I can remember that it involved finding the distance to the centre of the earth, how far the horizon of the earth was and a pendulum to find the distance to the sun.

If you know of a method along these lines, please could you inform me? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    Nevermind I've trawled through the internet over the past hours and finally found the answer in a hidden niche

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh and are you going to share this gem so others dont also have to trawl for hours ??

cheers :)
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook