Using a pendulum to find the distance to the sun

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematics lecture where the speaker learned how to use basic formulae, a pendulum, and the distance to the center of the Earth to calculate the distance to the sun. They recently encountered a more complicated question but cannot remember the exact method from the lecture. They ask for help in finding a similar method and eventually find the answer online. They also ask if the answer can be shared with others.
Mukilab
Hello,

One or two years ago I had a mathematics lecture where one part of it was using basic formulae, a pendulum and the distance to the centre of the Earth to find out what the distance to the sun was.

Recently, I came across a question which asked me to figure out the distance to the sun however it was far more complicated and used more advanced theories than the example I was shown in the lecture.

However, I can no longer precisely remember how to do it using the method in the lecture but I can remember that it involved finding the distance to the centre of the earth, how far the horizon of the Earth was and a pendulum to find the distance to the sun.

If you know of a method along these lines, please could you inform me? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I've trawled through the internet over the past hours and finally found the answer in a hidden niche

Mukilab said:
Nevermind I've trawled through the internet over the past hours and finally found the answer in a hidden niche

ohhh and are you going to share this gem so others don't also have to trawl for hours ??

cheers :)
Dave

FAQ: Using a pendulum to find the distance to the sun

1. How does using a pendulum help determine the distance to the sun?

The length of a pendulum's swing is affected by gravity, which is determined by the mass of the sun. By measuring the length of a pendulum's swing and knowing the mass of the sun, we can calculate the distance between the sun and the pendulum.

2. What is the process for using a pendulum to find the distance to the sun?

First, a pendulum is set up in a controlled environment where the effects of other gravitational forces are minimized. Then, the length of the pendulum's swing is measured and compared to known values for the mass of the sun. Finally, the distance to the sun is calculated using this information.

3. Is using a pendulum a reliable method for finding the distance to the sun?

While using a pendulum can provide a rough estimate of the distance to the sun, it is not considered a highly accurate or precise method. Other techniques, such as parallax measurements and radar ranging, are more commonly used for determining the distance to the sun.

4. Can a pendulum be used to find the distance to other celestial objects?

Yes, the same principle of using a pendulum's swing to measure the effects of gravity can be applied to other celestial bodies. However, the accuracy and precision may vary depending on the size and mass of the object compared to the sun.

5. How has the use of pendulums to find the distance to the sun evolved over time?

In the past, pendulums were commonly used for celestial measurements before more advanced techniques were developed. Today, they are still used in some educational settings to demonstrate the concept of gravity and its effects on pendulum swings, but they are not commonly used for scientific measurements of distance to the sun.

Back