Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a pendulum to find the distance to the sun

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello,

One or two years ago I had a mathematics lecture where one part of it was using basic formulae, a pendulum and the distance to the centre of the earth to find out what the distance to the sun was.

Recently, I came across a question which asked me to figure out the distance to the sun however it was far more complicated and used more advanced theories than the example I was shown in the lecture.

However, I can no longer precisely remember how to do it using the method in the lecture but I can remember that it involved finding the distance to the centre of the earth, how far the horizon of the earth was and a pendulum to find the distance to the sun.

If you know of a method along these lines, please could you inform me? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    Nevermind I've trawled through the internet over the past hours and finally found the answer in a hidden niche

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh and are you going to share this gem so others dont also have to trawl for hours ??

cheers :)
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook