Using Ampere's Law to Calculate Magnetic Field at a Point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
swraman
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Is there any way to use Ampere's Law [tex]\oint_{C}\beta d\ell = \mu_{0}I[/tex] to calculate the magnetic field [tex]\beta[/tex] at a single point if there are no surfaces C such that [tex]\beta[/tex] is constant over the surface's perimeter?

Thanks

Raman

Edit: I mean solve symbolically, no estimation/splitting the integral up into discrete sums
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's law at a point is the Maxwell equation for curl B~j.
You then have to solve a differential equation for B.
 
Depending on the set-up, you may be better off using the Biot-Savart law instead. There may or may not be a way to get an expression for current density J depending on how the question is given.
 
swraman said:
what is B~j?
Maxwell's equation is (Curl B)=k j. The constant k is different in different systems of units.
By ~ I meant that (Curl B) was proportional to j.