1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using chain rule to differentiate x^x

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the chain rule to find (d/dx)(xx) by using the function f(y,z)=yz.

2. Relevant equations

Chain rule: [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no clue on how to use chain rule in this problem. I have spent about an hour trying to set up a chain rule equation and I have given up hope on finding one.

The partial derivatives of f(y,z) are:
    [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}[/tex] = zyz-1
    [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}[/tex] = yzln(y)

I have a strong feeling that I need to set up parametric equations somewhere to cancel out and get dy/dx, but I can't seem to find any possible way.

I know how to find the derivative using one-variable calculus, and it comes to out be [dy/dz = xx(1+ln(x))]. Any hints on how to setup a chain rule equation would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    Let y(t) = t and let z(t) = t. What you're looking for is then df/dt, which the fits the chain rule you posted nicely.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    Alright so taking it a step further:

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]y(t)=t[/tex]

[tex]z(t)=t[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = zy^z-1 + y^z ln(y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{zy^z}{y} + y^z ln(y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df}{dt} = y^z (\frac{z}{y} + ln(y))[/tex]

[tex]y=x[/tex]

[tex]z=x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = x^x (\frac{x}{x} + ln(x))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = x^x (1+ln(x))[/tex]

Thank you very much for your help.

5. Oct 8, 2009 #4
    The answer to your problem: (d/dx)(x^x) = y(x^x)....z is to be cancelled out along the operations..try differentiating both sides of the equations.

First let y=x^x and
    f(y,z)=u=y^z--->from here solve for y in terms of z, you can do that by getting the ln of both sides.
    You will arrive at having: y=e^lnu.

Hope this could be of any help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook