Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using DC-AC inverters in parallel

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if it's possible to use two or more-off-the shelf DC-AC inverters in parallel in order to provide more AC power?

It occurred to me that unless they were in phase, problems could result.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2
    You would have to lock them together in phase and have quite close voltage matching.
  4. Jan 2, 2009 #3
    That's what I thought Pumblechook, sounds like I'd have to have knowledge of, and access to, the circuit in order to lock phase.

What made me even think about it is Honda offers a feature on their EU series generators that allow two of them to be connected together with a special cable to provide double the power.
  5. Jan 2, 2009 #4
    I would recommend to forget it. High voltage output and maybe much higher volatge spikes and high current DC input..
  6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

Staff: Mentor

As you point out in answering your own question, it can be done, but requires specially-designed generators, and a special communicaion connection between them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?