1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using DC-AC inverters in parallel

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if it's possible to use two or more-off-the shelf DC-AC inverters in parallel in order to provide more AC power?

It occurred to me that unless they were in phase, problems could result.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2
    You would have to lock them together in phase and have quite close voltage matching.

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3
    That's what I thought Pumblechook, sounds like I'd have to have knowledge of, and access to, the circuit in order to lock phase.

What made me even think about it is Honda offers a feature on their EU series generators that allow two of them to be connected together with a special cable to provide double the power.

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4
    I would recommend to forget it. High voltage output and maybe much higher volatge spikes and high current DC input..

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As you point out in answering your own question, it can be done, but requires specially-designed generators, and a special communicaion connection between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?