Using Energy to Solve Work Problem

In summary: Glad I could help!In summary, the problem involves finding the distance a truck travels before coming to a stop on a hill with an incline of 15.0° and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.750, using energy as the method of solution. After setting up the equations for work done by friction and for the total energy, and solving for the distance using the angle and the known values, the correct answer is found to be 13.5 meters.
murrskeez

Homework Statement

A truck is traveling at 11.1 m/s down a hill when the brakes on all four wheels lock. The hill makes an angle of 15.0° with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is 0.750. How far does the truck travel before coming to a stop? Use energy to solve this problem.

Homework Equations

fk = Ef - Ei
fk = μk*FN
FN=mgcos15°

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the work done by the friction force: Wfk = S(μkFN)cos180°
Wfk = μk(mgcos15°)(-1)

Then I solved for the work done by friction using the energy equation:
W = 1/2(mv2) +mgy - 1/2(mvi2) -mgyi
W = 0 + mgy - 1/2(mvi2) - 0

then I set the two equations equal to one another:
μk(mgcos15°)(-1) = mgy - 1/2(mvi2)

the m's canceled out and I solved for y:

y = μk(gcos15°)(-1) + 1/2(vi2) / g

and plugged in values:

y = (0.750)(9.8m/s2)(cos15°)(-1) + 1/2(11.0)2 / 9.8m/s2

and got: y = 6.90 m

knowing that the truck was traveling at 15°, sin15° = y/s
s = 6.90/sin15°
s = 26.7m

the correct answer should be 13.5m. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
murrskeez said:

Homework Statement

A truck is traveling at 11.1 m/s down a hill when the brakes on all four wheels lock. The hill makes an angle of 15.0° with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is 0.750. How far does the truck travel before coming to a stop? Use energy to solve this problem.

Homework Equations

fk = Ef - Ei
fk = μk*FN
FN=mgcos15°

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the work done by the friction force: Wfk = S(μkFN)cos180°
Wfk = μk(mgcos15°)(-1)

Then I solved for the work done by friction using the energy equation:
W = 1/2(mv2) +mgy - 1/2(mvi2) -mgyi
W = 0 + mgy - 1/2(mvi2) - 0

then I set the two equations equal to one another:
μk(mgcos15°)(-1) = mgy - 1/2(mvi2)

the m's canceled out and I solved for y:

y = μk(gcos15°)(-1) + 1/2(vi2) / g

and plugged in values:

y = (0.750)(9.8m/s2)(cos15°)(-1) + 1/2(11.0)2 / 9.8m/s2

and got: y = 6.90 m

knowing that the truck was traveling at 15°, sin15° = y/s
s = 6.90/sin15°
s = 26.7m

the correct answer should be 13.5m. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Should that 180° angle you used have actually been 15° ?

I thought that the in the formula W = sfcos∅ , the angle ∅ should represent the angle between the direction of s and the corresponding force, which in this case would be friction...and those two directions are 180° apart, right?

Where did s go in your Wfk equation? Also, what is the first equation in the relevant equations section? Don't use y in your potential energy equation, write in terms of s.

frogjg2003 said:
Where did s go in your Wfk equation? Also, what is the first equation in the relevant equations section? Don't use y in your potential energy equation, write in terms of s.

Oops, looks like I dropped the s. Looks like that would make

y = sμk(gcos15°)(-1) + 1/2(11.0)2 / 9.8 m/s2

could I then relate s and y through sin? Am I even on the right track?

The first equation is Wother = ΔE , other in this case meaning friction. Was given to me by my professor. But s and y are representing two different things, and y is a reflection of the incorporation of gravitational potential energy into the problem so I don't see how I can get around using it?

Go back a step or two and write out the Wfk=ΔKE+ΔPE equation. Don't use y, use s and θ. Also, keep a close eye on the signs. s is downwards, but both ΔEs should be negative.

frogjg2003 said:
Go back a step or two and write out the Wfk=ΔKE+ΔPE equation. Don't use y, use s and θ. Also, keep a close eye on the signs. s is downwards, but both ΔEs should be negative.

Finally got the correct answer, thank you very very much :smile:

You're welcome.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often described as the "currency" of the universe.

How can energy be used to solve work problems?

Energy can be used to solve work problems by converting from one form of energy to another. This can be achieved through various processes such as mechanical work, heat transfer, or chemical reactions.

What are some examples of using energy to solve work problems?

Some examples of using energy to solve work problems include using a jack to lift a car, using a stove to cook food, or using a battery to power a smartphone. In each of these cases, energy is being converted and utilized to perform a specific task.

How is energy measured?

Energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the metric system, or in calories (cal) in the imperial system. However, there are various other units of measurement for energy, such as kilowatt-hours (kWh) for electricity and BTUs for heat energy.

What are some real-world applications of using energy to solve work problems?

Some real-world applications of using energy to solve work problems include powering machines in factories, generating electricity for homes and businesses, and providing heat for cooking and heating buildings. Energy also plays a crucial role in transportation, communication, and various other industries.