How to Use Exponents and Roots on a Scientific Calculator?

In summary, on a scientific calculator, you can get a root of a number for an exponiental by valuating either of the two options.
goosey00
On a scientific calculator, how do you get a root of a number for an exponiental? Ex.-.653846^1/12=
I was taking 1/12 and making it so I can make it exponent for .653846. Obviously wrong. What am I doing here??

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: exponiental problem

goosey00 said:
On a scientific calculator, how do you get a root of a number for an exponiental? Ex.-.653846^1/12=
I was taking 1/12 and making it so I can make it exponent for .653846. Obviously wrong. What am I doing here??

Largely depends on what calculator you have. On my Casio fx-83ES one would type
Code:
-0.653846 x[sup]y[/sup] ( 1 / 12)

although y is a box - can't show it on my keyboard.

SuperSonic4 said:
Largely depends on what calculator you have. On my Casio fx-83ES one would type
Code:
-0.653846 x[SUP]y[/SUP] ( 1 / 12)

although y is a box - can't show it on my keyboard.

Im still getting it wrong though. What do you get to check the answer

Maybe it's how I'm asking. It says simplify b=(squiggy equal sign).653846^1/12

Got it! Thank you!

goosey00 said:
Got it! Thank you!

Hi goosey00,

Welcome to MHB! :) When you make a post you might notice a yellow column on the right hand side. If you look to the top of this column and click "Scientific Calculator" then a calculator will popup where you can practice making these calculations. What did you get for your final answer?

Jameson

stuck again

Purchasing power=

For the orginal purchasing power f(t)=1.08 (.926127)
For the one part I got at f(t)= .40 (.931511)
They want me to know where they intersect. If you need more info, let me know

Re: stuck again

goosey00 said:
Purchasing power=

For the orginal purchasing power f(t)=1.08 (.926127)
For the one part I got at f(t)= .40 (.931511)
They want me to know where they intersect. If you need more info, let me know

I'm a little confused. Is this a new problem or the same one? If it's a new one then you can make a new thread in a different section of the site, but if it's still about using your calculator then let's continue the discussion here :)

Either way can you post the complete problem?

Jameson said:
I'm a little confused. Is this a new problem or the same one? If it's a new one then you can make a new thread in a different section of the site, but if it's still about using your calculator then let's continue the discussion here :)

Either way can you post the complete problem?
Will you back in about an hour. ? I will right when i get back

goosey00 said:
Will you back in about an hour. ? I will right when i get back

Ok, I'll be around and someone will surely help you today. I am on this site every day at different times and so are many others so you don't need to every worry about no one reading your questions.

goosey00 said:

1. Do you want to valuate

[tex]\displaystyle{\sqrt[12]{-.653846}}[/tex]

You'll get an error message because an even root of a negative number has not a real value.

2. Do you want to valuate

(exp(-.653846))^(1/12)

Determine first [tex]\displaystyle{e^{-.653846} \approx 0.52}[/tex]
and afterwards the 12th root.

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a number, known as the base, is multiplied by itself.

How do I use the exponent function on a calculator?

Typically, the exponent function on a calculator is represented by the symbol "^" or "x^y". To use it, enter the base number followed by the exponent number and then press the exponent button.

Can I use negative numbers as exponents?

Yes, negative numbers can be used as exponents. When a negative number is used as an exponent, it indicates that the base number should be divided by itself the specified number of times.

What happens when I have more than one exponent in an equation?

When there are multiple exponents in an equation, you should follow the order of operations. This means that you should first solve any exponents, then perform multiplication and division from left to right, and finally perform addition and subtraction from left to right.

Can I use fractions or decimals as exponents?

Yes, fractions and decimals can be used as exponents. They represent the root of the base number, with the numerator being the power and the denominator being the root. For example, 2^(1/2) is equivalent to the square root of 2.