Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Fourier Properties or standard Integral?

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    Hi, sometimes when I'm trying to work out the Fourier Transform of a signal, I get different answers depending on whether I use Fourier Transform properites (such as rect(t) will go to sinc(f) etc) or whether I use the FT integral. Here's an example where I'm not sure which 1 is the correct answer:

The signal is: [tex]g(t)=-Arect(\frac{t+T}{T})+Arect(\frac{t}{T})-Arect(\frac{t-T}{T})[/tex]

Using FT properties:
    [tex]
    G(f)=-ATsinc(Tf)e^{j2\pi fT}+ATsinc(fT)-ATsinc(Tf)e^{-j2\pi fT}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=-2ATsinc(Tf)cos(2\pi fT)+ATsinc(Tf)[/tex]

Using the FT Integral:
    [tex]G(f)=-A\int_{\frac{-3T}{2}}^{\frac{-T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt+A\int_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt-A\int_{\frac{T}{2}}^{\frac{3T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=-A[\frac{e^{j\pi fT}-e^{j\pi f3T}}{-j2\pi f}]+\frac{A}{\pi f}[\frac{e^{j\pi fT}-e^{-j\pi fT}}{2j}]-A[\frac{e^{-j\pi f3T}-e^{-j\pi fT}}{-j2\pi f}][/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=2TAsinc(fT) -3TAsinc(3fT)[/tex]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

uart

Science Advisor

I think that both answers are equivalent. After a bit of fiddling around with the usual trig identities I was able to show that :

[tex] \sin(x) - \sin(3x) = -2 \cos(2x) \sin(x)[/tex]

If you use that in your final equation then it reduces to the earlier one that you got "Using FT properties"

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    Hey uart thanks for the reply.
    I've tried subbing in different values for A, T and f but I get different answers from the 2 equations, so they're not the same unfortunately.

5. May 4, 2010 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Yeah I'm pretty sure I can show (algebraically) that they're identical. No time right now but I'll have a look at numerical values later.

BTW Are you sure you're using the correct "sinc" definition : sinc(x) = sin(pi x)/(pi x) is the correct one to use in this case.

6. May 4, 2010 #5

uart

Science Advisor

OK I'm calling "calculator error" on you frenzal_dude. :) Double check that you're using radians and also double check you have the correct sinc definition.

I just checked and I get them both algebraically and numerically identical!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  7. May 4, 2010 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Here's the algebraic solution.

Starting with your last resut (I took out the common factor of "fT" as it's obviously the same in both solutions) :

[tex]G(f)=2sinc(fT) -3sinc(3fT) = sinc(fT) + sinc(fT) - 3 sinc(3fT)[/tex]

[tex] = sinc(fT) + \frac{1}{\pi f T} \left( \sin(\pi f T) - \sin(3 \pi f T) \right)[/tex]

Now sub in the trig identity I posted previosly and you get :

[tex]G(f)=sinc(fT) -2 sinc(fT) \cos(2 \pi f T)[/tex]

Which is identical to your "using FT properties" result.

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    uart, thankyou so much for your help!
    I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook