Can hard water be used as an energy source through radiation capture?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating "hard hard water" and "heavy heavy water" by adding soluble salts, which would release radiation and leave behind another compound. The idea of capturing this radiation as an alternate energy source is also mentioned. However, the speaker believes that this may not be a feasible option due to the potential negative effects of adding these salts. The conversation also briefly mentions a concept involving magnetic fields.
Zrai
Now isn't there a way to make hard water "hard hard water"? and in by doing so radiation is released and another compund is left behind?

Am thinking that by capturing this radiation it could be utilized as an alternate energy source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meant heavy water

Now isn't there a way to make heavy water "heavy heavy water"? and in by doing so radiation is released and another compund is left behind?

Am thinking that by capturing this radiation it could be utilized as an alternate energy source.

"Stepping thru the oppositly spinning magnetic fields, I am going back to my own universe to contemplate my errors."

Zrai [zz)]

Originally posted by Zrai
Now isn't there a way to make hard water "hard hard water"? and in by doing so radiation is released and another compund is left behind?

Maybe you could release a small amount of heat by adding soluble salts, but this comes with a large price - the stuff you are adding.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Zrai
Now isn't there a way to make heavy water "heavy heavy water"? and in by doing so radiation is released and another compund is left behind?

"Stepping thru the oppositly spinning magnetic fields, I am going back to my own universe to contemplate my errors."

Zrai [zz)]

As near as I can tell, someone is giving you some bad ideas. Where do you get this? Perhaps you are confusing a couple of different ideas?

maybe from a certain episode of stargate which was on tv a few weeks ago ;)

1. How can hard water be used for energy?

Hard water can be used for energy through the process of hydroelectric power generation. This involves using the kinetic energy of moving water to turn turbines and generate electricity.

2. What is the source of hard water for energy production?

The source of hard water for energy production is usually natural bodies of water such as rivers, lakes, and reservoirs. These bodies of water have a constant flow of water which can be harnessed for energy.

3. What are the benefits of using hard water for energy?

Using hard water for energy has several benefits. It is a renewable source of energy, meaning it will not run out like fossil fuels. It also does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it a cleaner and more environmentally friendly option for energy production.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using hard water for energy?

One potential disadvantage of using hard water for energy is the impact on aquatic ecosystems. The construction of hydroelectric dams can disrupt the natural flow of water and affect the habitats of aquatic animals. There may also be concerns about the displacement of communities and the loss of cultural sites due to the construction of dams.

5. How does the cost of using hard water for energy compare to other energy sources?

The cost of using hard water for energy can vary depending on factors such as location and the size of the project. However, in general, it is considered to be a cost-effective option for energy production. It has lower operational and maintenance costs compared to other energy sources such as coal or nuclear power.