1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Jacobian to determine area

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Let [phi](u,v)=(3u+v,u-2v). Use the Jacobian to determine the area of [phi]R for:

R=[2,5]X[1,7]

3. The attempt at a solution

- I'm really not sure why I keep getting the wrong answer on this problem. the problem gives you two R's to solve for and I got the right answer for the first one (R=[0,3]X[0,5]), but I'm not getting the right answer for the 2nd R. I would think you would solve the problems the exact same way, but I'm not sure since I can't get the right answer. Would R being changed affect how you work the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what did you do? What is the Jacobian? And what answer did you get?

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    - my jacobian was |-7|. I set the limits on my outer integral (for dv) from 1 > 7 and my inner integral from 2 > 5. I integrated with respect to u first and then integrated with respect to v. I kept getting a very large negative number, but the answer is positive and not that big.

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How could you possibly have gotten negative answer? The Jacobian is, as you say, 7, and the area of the rectangle is (7-1)(5-2)= 6(3)= 18 so the area of the transformed region would be 18(7)= 126.

6. Jul 10, 2008 #5
    - So you don't use integration on this problem? You can just multiply the area of the rectangle times the jacobian?

7. Jul 10, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

that's the whole point of the problem! No you don't need to use integration to find the area of a rectangle and the point of the Jacobian is that it changes the area of one region to the area of the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?