Using large or 'big' parentheses

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary: What you are trying to do is render an escape character. The escape characters are: \ % $ { & # ~ ^. These render with \%, \$, \{, \&, \#. You can render \ with either \_ or \textbackslash. ~ can be render with \sim or \textasciitilde. Lastly, ^ is rendered with \textasciicircum.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In some expressions like \(\displaystyle f(g(x)) \) , especially complex ones, it may be helpful to use large or 'big' parentheses ... for example for the first and last parentheses in the given expression above.

Can someone help with the correct Latex for this?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I use the \left and \right commands. For example the code:

\left(\frac{x^2}{3y^2-2} \right)^2

produces:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x^2}{3y^2-2} \right)^2\)

You can use them with other brackets (right-click to see the codes used)

\(\displaystyle \left\lfloor \frac{\sqrt{x}}{2} \right\rfloor\)

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx} \right|_{x=3}\)

\(\displaystyle \left\langle \cos^2(t),\sin(t)-\frac{t}{3} \right\rangle\)

MarkFL said:
I use the \left and \right commands. For example the code:

\left(\frac{x^2}{3y^2-2} \right)^2

produces:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x^2}{3y^2-2} \right)^2\)

You can use them with other brackets (right-click to see the codes used)

\(\displaystyle \left\lfloor \frac{\sqrt{x}}{2} \right\rfloor\)

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx} \right|_{x=3}\)

\(\displaystyle \left\langle \cos^2(t),\sin(t)-\frac{t}{3} \right\rangle\)

Thanks Mark, appreciate the help ...

I tried

f \left( g(x) \right)

and got

\(\displaystyle f \left( g(x) \right) \)

but I wanted the parentheses around the g(x) to be larger ... in some cases I would want them considerably larger ... than the parentheses around the x - which, alas, as you can see did not happen

Can you help further ... what am I missing?

Peter said:
I tried

f \left( g(x) \right)

and got

but I wanted the parentheses around the g(x) to be larger ... in some cases I would want them considerably larger ... than the parentheses around the x - which, alas, as you can see did not happen

You can specify the size manually if you do not like the results given by \left and \right. The commands (for increasing sizes) are \bigl, \Bigl, \biggl and \Biggl, with corresponding commands on the right (\bigr etc.). The results (starting with a regular size parenthesis) look like $(\ \bigl( \ \Bigl( \ \biggl( \ \Biggl($.

I always use the \bigl and \bigr commands for expressions like the one you want: $f\bigl(g(x)\bigr).$

Opalg said:
You can specify the size manually if you do not like the results given by \left and \right. The commands (for increasing sizes) are \bigl, \Bigl, \biggl and \Biggl, with corresponding commands on the right (\bigr etc.). The results (starting with a regular size parenthesis) look like $(\ \bigl( \ \Bigl( \ \biggl( \ \Biggl($.

I always use the \bigl and \bigr commands for expressions like the one you want: $f\bigl(g(x)\bigr).$
Thanks Opalg ... Most helpful

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks Mark, appreciate the help ...

I tried

f \left( g(x) \right)

and got

The left and right commands only make the bracketing symbols as "tall" as the expressions they are enclosing...but I also learned some new commands from Opalg. (Yes)

Also just a note about \left and \right: I find that when combined with exponents, $\LaTeX$ tends to put it too far to the right. So you can use two \! commands to reduce that spacing. Compare
$$\left( \frac{45}{x-3} \right)^{2} \quad \text{with} \quad \left( \frac{45}{x-3} \right)^{ \! \!2} \quad \text{or even, with one \!, } \left( \frac{45}{x-3} \right)^{ \! 2}.$$

There are a few more advantages of the big over left and right.
  1. If you want to have just a right, you have to \left. and then \right| whereas with big you can just do \big|
  2. If you are using an align environment, and you want a \left one side of the ampersand =, you need to then do a phantom to have equal hieght spacing on the right sides and you need \right. and a \left. Again, the use of \big( doesn't cause this issue

dwsmith said:
There are a few more advantages of the big over left and right.
  1. If you want to have just a right, you have to \left. and then \right| whereas with big you can just do \big|
  2. If you are using an align environment, and you want a \left one side of the ampersand =, you need to then do a phantom to have equal hieght spacing on the right sides and you need \right. and a \left. Again, the use of \big( doesn't cause this issue

Can someone help me with the Latex code to obtain a large { and a large }?

I have tried the following but it does not seem to work:\Biggl{ \Biggr}Help would be appreciated.

Peter

Peter said:

I have tried the following but it does not seem to work:\Biggl{ \Biggr}Help would be appreciated.

Peter

You need to "escape" the brackets by preceding them with a backslash:

\Biggl\{ \Biggr\}

produces:

\(\displaystyle \Biggl\{ \Biggr\}\)

Peter said:

Peter

What you are trying to do is render an escape character. The escape characters are: \ % $ { & # ~ ^. These render with \%, \$, \{, \&, \#. You can render \ with either \_ or \textbackslash. ~ can be render with \sim or \textasciitilde. Lastly, ^ is rendered with \textasciicircum

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using large parentheses in scientific notation?

The purpose of using large parentheses in scientific notation is to make it easier to read and understand very large or very small numbers. The parentheses contain the power of 10 that is being multiplied with the significant figure, helping to indicate the scale of the number.

2. How do you properly use large parentheses in scientific notation?

To properly use large parentheses in scientific notation, the number being written should be expressed as a decimal between 1 and 10, multiplied by a power of 10. The power of 10 should then be placed inside the parentheses, with a positive exponent for large numbers and a negative exponent for small numbers.

3. Can large parentheses be used with any number in scientific notation?

Yes, large parentheses can be used with any number in scientific notation, as long as the number is expressed in the proper format of a decimal multiplied by a power of 10. However, for very small or very large numbers, it is recommended to use exponential notation instead.

4. What is the difference between large and small parentheses in scientific notation?

The difference between large and small parentheses in scientific notation is that large parentheses are used for numbers with a power of 10 greater than or equal to 10, while small parentheses are used for numbers with a power of 10 less than 1. This helps to differentiate between numbers that are very large or very small.

5. Are large parentheses necessary for scientific notation?

No, large parentheses are not necessary for scientific notation. Scientific notation can be expressed without parentheses by using the letter "E" to indicate the power of 10. However, using large parentheses can make the number easier to read and understand, especially for those who are not familiar with scientific notation.