1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using l'Hospitals rule for sequences of functions

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let (fn) be the sequence of functions defined on [0,1] by fn(x) = nxnlog(x) if x>0 and fn(0)=0. Each fn is continuous on [0,1].

Let a be in (0,1) and ha(y) = yay := yey log(a). Using l'Hospitals rule or otherwise, prove that limy->+∞ ha(y) = 0.

Then considering different cases for x and using the previous part, prove that (fn) converges point wise to the zero function.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not too sure how to start this off. I rearranged h to ay/(1/y), differentiated top and bottom so I get ay/(-1/y2), and then taking the limit I get 0/0, and I'm not sure what to make of that. Also trying to rearrange the second part of h I get 0/0 when taking the limit of its derivatives.

What other path can I take to prove that the limit is 0?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the log of y*a^y. Try to show it approaches -infinity as y->infinity. Use that log(a) is negative and show lim y->infinity log(y)/y=0.

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    I don't understand why I need to take the log. Aren't I changing the function then?

5. May 28, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you really want to use L'Hopital, write it as
    [tex] \frac{y}{a^{-y}} [/tex]

6. May 28, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is more economical. But my point for Whistlekins is that if log(r)->-infinity then r goes to 0.

7. May 28, 2013 #6
    Understood.

Now the second part of the question, can I just use the fact that limits of the product of two functions is equal to the product of the limits of the functions, and the fact that g_n(x) = nx^n is a subsequence of h? Is this all that is required for a proof?

8. May 28, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think so. Now you know nx^n->0 for x in (0,1). So nx^nlog(x) must do the same. x=0 and x=1 are separate cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted