Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using linear algebra to tell when your derivation is impossible?

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I think linear algebra is the best place to ask my question. Feel free to move this thread elsewhere if I am wrong.

I would like to know how I can use linear algebra to help me figure out when I am deriving an equation if the derivation I would like to have is possible. So, if I have a relation with variables x and y, is it possible to express y in terms of only x? The other way around?

Keplers Equation makes a good example: M = E - e*Sin(E). (e is eccentricity). M can be expressed in terms of E, but because this equation is transcendental E cannot be expressed in terms of M. That's easy enough to see here, but what if I have complicated expressions for M and E, and I am trying to derive Kepler's equation? Is there a theorem I can apply to figure out, before doing lots of algebra, that E cannot be expressed in terms of only M?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your equation has lots of transcendental functions in it, that's a good indicator that no closed form solution is possible.

To answer your basic question, no, linear algebra cannot be used to determine if a closed-form derivation can be developed for a particular variable.

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    Maybe Kepler's Equation was a bad choice for an example. But there are plenty of equations loaded with transcendental functions that have closed form solutions. There's no method of discovering if a problem has a closed form solution other than algebra + inspection?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook