Using linear algebra to tell when your derivation is impossible?

In summary, the speaker is asking if linear algebra can be used to determine if a closed-form derivation is possible for a given variable, specifically in the example of Kepler's Equation. The other person responds that equations with transcendental functions may not have closed-form solutions, but there is no specific method to determine this other than using algebra and inspection.
phasor
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I think linear algebra is the best place to ask my question. Feel free to move this thread elsewhere if I am wrong.

I would like to know how I can use linear algebra to help me figure out when I am deriving an equation if the derivation I would like to have is possible. So, if I have a relation with variables x and y, is it possible to express y in terms of only x? The other way around?

Keplers Equation makes a good example: M = E - e*Sin(E). (e is eccentricity). M can be expressed in terms of E, but because this equation is transcendental E cannot be expressed in terms of M. That's easy enough to see here, but what if I have complicated expressions for M and E, and I am trying to derive Kepler's equation? Is there a theorem I can apply to figure out, before doing lots of algebra, that E cannot be expressed in terms of only M?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your equation has lots of transcendental functions in it, that's a good indicator that no closed form solution is possible.

To answer your basic question, no, linear algebra cannot be used to determine if a closed-form derivation can be developed for a particular variable.

Maybe Kepler's Equation was a bad choice for an example. But there are plenty of equations loaded with transcendental functions that have closed form solutions. There's no method of discovering if a problem has a closed form solution other than algebra + inspection?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to solve problems related to geometry, engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. How can linear algebra be used to determine if a derivation is impossible?

Linear algebra can be used to determine if a derivation is impossible by checking if the system of equations formed by the derivation is inconsistent. This means that there is no solution that satisfies all the equations at the same time, indicating that the derivation is not possible.

3. What are the key concepts in linear algebra that can help identify if a derivation is impossible?

The key concepts in linear algebra that can help identify if a derivation is impossible include: linear independence, rank, and determinant. If the equations in the derivation are linearly dependent, the rank is less than the number of equations, or the determinant is equal to zero, then the derivation is impossible.

4. Can linear algebra be used to prove the impossibility of a derivation in all cases?

No, linear algebra cannot be used to prove the impossibility of a derivation in all cases. It can only be used to determine if a derivation is impossible in cases where the equations are linearly independent. In other cases, other methods or techniques may be needed to prove the impossibility of a derivation.

5. How does linear algebra play a role in problem-solving and decision-making in science?

Linear algebra plays a crucial role in problem-solving and decision-making in science by providing a powerful tool to model and analyze complex systems and relationships. It allows scientists to represent real-world problems and data in a mathematical form, making it easier to solve and make decisions based on the results.