How to Solve Complex PDEs and Calculate Wiener Filter Using Matlab PDE Toolbox?

In summary, you are trying to solve a PDE using the Matlab PDE toolbox. You have access to the transfer functions of the ARX model, but you need to calculate the optimal causal filter.
RandomGuy88
I am attempting to solve the following PDE using the GUI for Matlab's PDE toolbox.

[tex]

\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

\pd{\Psi}{y}{}
+ \pd{\Psi}{x}{2} + \pd{\Psi}{y}{2}=0

[/tex]

Is this possible? I have been able to use the PDE toolbox for other simpler PDEs, for example Laplace's Equation with the same boundary conditions I am using for the above equation. But I can't seem to get it to work once I add first partial of Psi w.r.t y

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi all!

Problem:
I am currently trying to calculate a Wiener filter for a stochastic system. The model is an ARX with determined parameters.

Where I am:
I have access to the transfer functions of the ARX model.
I need to calculate the optimal causal filter:
H(s)=1/Fi(s)*[Sx(s)/Fi(-s)]L

I know that:
Fi(s)Fi(-s)=Sx(s)+Sn(s)
where Sx(s) is the power spectral density of the output signal and Sn(s) is the power spectral density of the aditive noise. To find Sx and Sn I found the square root of the absolute value of the transfer functions of the model and the noise filter respectively, in the jω domain.

I have the whitening filter (1/Fi(s)), I determined Fi(s) by taking out all poles and zeros on the right plane of Fi(s)Fi(-s).

Question:
Is the bode diagram of the whitening filter supposed to be the symetric, relative to magnitude, of the bode diagram of the noise filter of the model?

Now I have to determine:
[Sx(s)/Fi(-s)]L
I have Sx(s) and Fi(-s), but my question is how do I determine the transfer function of the non-causal part only? I know I could use partial fraction expansion by hand but my Sx(s) and Sn(s) have 12th order polynomials so I will certainly not go that way.

Please help.
Thank you.

Gonçalo

1. What is the Matlab PDE Toolbox GUI?

The Matlab PDE (Partial Differential Equation) Toolbox GUI is a user-friendly graphical interface that allows users to solve and analyze partial differential equations using the Matlab software.

2. How do I access the PDE Toolbox GUI in Matlab?

To access the PDE Toolbox GUI in Matlab, you can either click on the PDE icon in the toolbar or type "pdegui" in the command window.

3. How do I create a PDE model using the Toolbox GUI?

To create a PDE model, click on the "New" button in the PDE Toolbox GUI and select the type of geometry you want to work with. Then, use the built-in tools to create the geometry and specify the boundary conditions and coefficients for your PDE.

4. Can I visualize the results of my PDE model using the PDE Toolbox GUI?

Yes, the PDE Toolbox GUI allows you to visualize the results of your PDE model using various plot types such as contour plots, surface plots, and vector plots. You can also customize the plots by changing colors, adding labels, and adjusting the axes.

5. Is it possible to export the results of my PDE model from the PDE Toolbox GUI?

Yes, you can export the results of your PDE model from the PDE Toolbox GUI in various formats such as images, videos, and data files. You can also share your PDE model with others by exporting it as a standalone application using the Matlab Compiler.