Solving 2nd Order PDE System with Crank-Nicholson

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to solve a system of PDEs with a nonlinear term in E using the Crank-Nicholson method. They are wondering if using a Newton-Raphson scheme would be the correct approach. They also mention some difficulties with viewing equations on a specific platform.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
I have the following system of PDEs:
[tex]
\hat{\rho}\hat{c}_{th}\frac{\partial\hat{T}}{\partial\hat{x}}-\alpha_{1}\frac{\partial}{\partial\hat{x}}\left(\hat{k}(\hat{x})\frac{\partial\hat{T}}{\partial\hat{x}}\right)=\alpha_{1}\hat{\sigma}(\hat{x})\hat{E}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial\hat{x}}(\hat{\varepsilon}(\hat{x})\hat{E})=-\beta\hat{c}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial\hat{c}}{\partial\hat{t}}-\gamma_{1}\frac{\partial}{\partial\hat{x}}\left(\hat{D}(\hat{x})\frac{\partial\hat{c}}{\partial\hat{x}}\right)= \gamma_{2}\left(\frac{\partial\hat{E}}{\partial\hat{x}}+\frac{\partial\hat{c}}{\partial\hat{x}}-\frac{\partial\hat{T}}{\partial\hat{x}}\right)
[/tex]

I would like to solve this system using the Crank-Nicholson method. Now for a linear equation, the CN scheme is well defined, MATLAB has some very nice algorithms for this.

However the first equation has a nonlinear term in E, and I have no equation which time steps E. I suppose that I could use a Newton-Raphson scheme to get the solution. Would that be the correct way forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

What would be the best way forward? As stated in my post.

hunt_mat said:
What would be the best way forward? As stated in my post.
Sorry about that.
For some reason no text after your first equation is visible in Safari on iOS.

a perturbation expansion for [itex] E [/itex] (kill all the [itex] \hat{}[/itex], it makes the equations hard to read and is confusing, unless they are all vector quantities,l then you have a mess and an intractable system).

What is a 2nd order PDE system?

A 2nd order PDE (partial differential equation) system is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change. It involves second-order derivatives, meaning that the functions being described have two independent variables.

What is the Crank-Nicholson method?

The Crank-Nicholson method is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations, specifically for time-dependent problems. It is based on a finite difference approximation and uses a combination of backward and forward differences to achieve second-order accuracy.

Why is the Crank-Nicholson method useful for solving 2nd order PDE systems?

The Crank-Nicholson method is useful because it is unconditionally stable, meaning that the solution will not blow up or become unstable for any time step size. It also converges quickly and accurately to the true solution, making it a reliable method for solving 2nd order PDE systems.

What are the steps for solving a 2nd order PDE system with the Crank-Nicholson method?

The steps for solving a 2nd order PDE system with the Crank-Nicholson method are as follows:

1. Discretize the problem by dividing the domain into a grid of points
  2. Write the discrete equations using the Crank-Nicholson scheme
  3. Use an iterative method to solve the resulting system of equations
  4. Repeat the iterations until the solution converges to a desired level of accuracy

What are some limitations of using the Crank-Nicholson method for solving 2nd order PDE systems?

Some limitations of the Crank-Nicholson method include its inability to handle stiff problems and its reliance on a uniform grid, which may not accurately capture complex geometries. It also requires a large number of iterations to achieve high accuracy, making it computationally expensive for large systems.