Second Order Metric: Manipulating & Calculations for Einstein Equations

In summary, you should expand the function when you get the inverse, but there are no rules as to how you should do this.
Vrbic
TL;DR Summary
How to work with metrics when solving a problem that is inherently limited to the second order in one parameter?
I use metric, which describes spacetime upto second order terms in rotation. It is solution of Einstein equations expanded upto second order. My query is, how to manipulate with such metric during calculations? Concetrly I make inverse metric, produce effective potential (ie, multiplying, makeing square root of coefficients etc.). Finally, I use it in numerical solution of Hamilton equations. What is appropriate procedure to hadle with this problem? Shall I expand upto second order all function after every calculation? Or...?

Thank you for any suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
Summary:: How to work with metrics when solving a problem that is inherently limited to the second order in one parameter?

I use metric, which describes spacetime upto second order terms in rotation. It is solution of Einstein equations expanded upto second order. My query is, how to manipulate with such metric during calculations? Concetrly I make inverse metric, produce effective potential (ie, multiplying, makeing square root of coefficients etc.). Finally, I use it in numerical solution of Hamilton equations. What is appropriate procedure to hadle with this problem? Shall I expand upto second order all function after every calculation? Or...?

Thank you for any suggestion.

I can see you are finding this quite hard to explain in English. You should try posting the actual equations - which should be the same in any language.

PeroK said:
I can see you are finding this quite hard to explain in English. You should try posting the actual equations - which should be the same in any language.
Ok :-)
I have axially symmetric metic (exist ##g_{14}## and ##g_{41}## components) in this form: ##g_{ab}=g0_{ab}+g1_{ab}*P+\frac{g2_{ab}}{2}*P^2 + (O^3)##.

For example:
I wants Hamilton equations.
I need Hamitlonian ##H=g^{ab}p_ap_b## so I need inverse of ##g_{ab}##.
My query is: Shall I immediatelly expand ##g^{ab}## when I get inverse of ##g_{ab}##, or shall I construct Hamilton equations and expand at the end?
Are there some rules for working with such "expanded" functions?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

1. What is a second order metric?

A second order metric is a mathematical concept used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is a tensor field that assigns a metric tensor to each point in spacetime, which determines the distance between two points in space and the interval between two events in time.

2. How is a second order metric used in manipulating Einstein equations?

A second order metric is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is a key component in the Einstein equations. By manipulating the second order metric, scientists can solve for the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime.

3. What are some common calculations involved in working with second order metrics?

Some common calculations involved in working with second order metrics include finding the Christoffel symbols, calculating the Ricci tensor and scalar curvature, and solving for the Einstein tensor. These calculations help determine the curvature and dynamics of spacetime.

4. How does the manipulation of second order metrics relate to the theory of general relativity?

The manipulation of second order metrics is essential in the theory of general relativity, as it allows scientists to describe and understand the curvature of spacetime. This curvature is what gives rise to the effects of gravity and is the basis for Einstein's theory of gravity.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order metrics and Einstein equations?

Second order metrics and Einstein equations have numerous real-world applications, including predicting the behavior of massive objects in space, such as planets and stars. They are also used in the study of cosmology and the evolution of the universe. Additionally, these concepts are crucial in the development of technologies such as GPS and gravitational wave detectors.