Using quadratic interpolation in matlab how ?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a quadratic equation. One person suggests setting the velocity to 35 and using the quadratic formula, while another suggests plugging in the possible answers for t. The original poster shares their attempt using the quadratic formula and asks for clarification on the correct way to define the function in MATLAB. Finally, they share their success in solving the problem but are confused by obtaining the same velocity twice within a certain time period. They ask for help with this issue as their submission is due soon.
uaeXuae
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8922/problemcmi0.jpg

Can anyone explain to me please how this problem is solved ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two ways, take your pick.

Set v(t) = 35, then use the quadratic formula. OR

set t = each of the possible answers, which is closest to 35?

Well this is basically what i have done But I am not sure why I am getting to positive values for t ?
I would like to :
Integral said:
Set v(t) = 35, then use the quadratic formula.

Please feel free to tell me if the quadratic equation i used is wrong:-

a=8.66; b=-349.67;c=3523.18;
discr=qrt(b^2-4*a*c)
qf1=(-b+discr)/(2*a);
qf2=(-b-discr)/(2*a);
qf=[qf1 qf2]

I got qf=

21.0571 19.3025

Is the function in MATLAB defined as:
Ax^2 +bx + c

or

Ax^2 -bx +c

Last edited:
Anyone please ? I have to submit this in 2 days please help...

Found it finally :

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2144/partcns7.jpg

This line basically i don't understand:-

p(3)=p(3)-35

Why minus ? I ued trial and error so i don't really know how i got it. May anyone explain please ?

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what i posted:

Ok now i can see i figured out the answer But what does not makes sense to me is that the velocity 35m/s is obtained twice between 18 & 22 seconds , 22 & 24 seconds. ! So theoretically i should be having 2 answers. Is there a Physical meaning of why I am having one answer ?

Anyone please help me submission is tommrow

What is quadratic interpolation?

Quadratic interpolation is a mathematical technique used to estimate the value of a function at a point between two known data points. It involves fitting a parabolic curve to the data points and using that curve to make predictions.

How is quadratic interpolation used in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, quadratic interpolation is used by the built-in function "interp1" with the option 'quadratic'. This function takes in a set of x and y data points and returns the value of the function at a specified point using quadratic interpolation.

What are the advantages of using quadratic interpolation?

Quadratic interpolation can provide more accurate estimates of the function value compared to linear interpolation, especially when the data points are not evenly spaced. It also allows for smoother and more realistic curves to be created from the data.

What are the limitations of quadratic interpolation?

Quadratic interpolation assumes that the relationship between the data points is parabolic, which may not always be the case. It can also produce unreliable estimates if the data points are too far apart or if there are outliers in the data.

How can I improve the accuracy of my quadratic interpolation results?

To improve the accuracy of quadratic interpolation, you can use a larger number of data points, especially in the regions where the function is changing rapidly. You can also try using a higher-order interpolation method, such as cubic or spline interpolation.