Using suffix notation to find alternative expressions

In summary, using the relationship ε_{ijk} ε_{klm}=δ_{il}δ_{jm}-δ_{im}δ_{jl}, we can find an alternative expression for ε_{ijk}ε_{ilm} by using cyclic permutations to make the common indices the same.
ppy

Homework Statement

use the relationship ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex] ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex]=δ[itex]_{il}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jm}[/itex]-δ[itex]_{im}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jl}[/itex] to find an alternative expression for ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{ilm}[/itex]. Hence simplify ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{ijm}[/itex]

2. Homework Equations

I know that the kronecker delta is 1 for i=j and 0 for i not equal to j. and that the alternating tensor is 0 for any I,j,k equal. +1 if (I,j,k)= (1,2,3) or (2,3,1) or (3,1,2) and -1 for (3,2,1) or (1,3,2) 0r (2,1,3). I also know that the alternating tensor is unchanged under cyclic permutations of its suffices. I know I am supposed to use all these facts but I am unsure how.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ppy! :smile:
ppy said:
use the relationship ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex] ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex]=δ[itex]_{il}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jm}[/itex]-δ[itex]_{im}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jl}[/itex] to find an alternative expression for ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{ilm}[/itex].

I know that … the alternating tensor is unchanged under cyclic permutations of its suffices.

in εijkεklm, the common index is 3rd and 1st

in εijkεilm, the common index is 1st and 1st

so use a cycllc permutation to make it 3rd and 1st :wink:

1. What is suffix notation?

Suffix notation is a mathematical notation system in which operators are placed after the operands to indicate the operation being performed. It is also known as Reverse Polish Notation (RPN).

2. How is suffix notation used to find alternative expressions?

Suffix notation can be used to find alternative expressions by rearranging the operands and operators in a different order. This can help simplify or solve complex mathematical equations.

3. What are the advantages of using suffix notation?

One advantage of using suffix notation is that it eliminates the need for parentheses and follows a strict order of operations. It also allows for easier computation using a calculator or computer program.

4. Can suffix notation be applied to all mathematical expressions?

Yes, suffix notation can be applied to all types of mathematical expressions, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can also be used with more complex operations like logarithms and exponents.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using suffix notation?

One potential drawback of using suffix notation is that it may be difficult for some people to understand or get used to, as it is not commonly taught in traditional math classes. Additionally, it can be challenging to read and write expressions in suffix notation without the help of a calculator or computer.