Curl of a vector using indicial notation

In summary, the conversation is about showing that \epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j} represents the curl of vector A_k and writing the expression in indicial notation. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to transform the cross product into the alternating tensor form and how to write out the components of the alternating tensor and the expression \epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j} explicitly. The participants also discuss the definitions of free index and dummy index and suggest finding more information in textbooks or lecture notes.
jbrisby

Homework Statement

A.) Show that [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j} [/tex] represents the curl of vector [tex] A_k [/tex]

B.) Write the expression in indicial nottation:
[tex]\triangledown \cdot \triangledown \times A[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm hoping that if I can get help on part A.) it will shed light on part B.) I have several more of these to do but not going to ask all of them here. For A.) I have done the cross product easily enough:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
i &j &k \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} &\frac{\partial }{\partial x_j} &\frac{\partial }{\partial x_k} \\
A_1&A_2 &A_3
\end{bmatrix} = i(\frac{\partial A_3 }{\partial x_j}-\frac{\partial A_2 }{\partial x_k})-j(\frac{\partial A_3 }{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial A_1 }{\partial x_k})+k(\frac{\partial A_2 }{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial A_1 }{\partial x_j})[/tex]

I'm having problems transforming this into the alternating tensor form. Everything I've found for the problem just states that the product can be expressed as [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j}[/tex] without any mention of how that happens. If someone could break down the transformation for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, note that your ##i,j,k## mean different things in different equations. This could lead to some confusion.

Either way, I guess they want you to write out each component of ##\nabla \times \mathbf{A}## and ##\epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j}## explicitly and verify that they are equal. Can you do that?

I edited the equation so maybe it'll make more sense. I'm not sure how to show that the cross product is transformed into the alternating tensor form.

As I said, write out each component of both expressions explicitly. You have more or less done so for ##\nabla \times \mathbf{A}##. It is probably more convenient to use ##\mathbf{e}_1, \mathbf{e}_2, \mathbf{e}_3## rather than ##\mathbf{i}, \mathbf{j},\mathbf{k}##.

Can you write out each component of ##\epsilon_{ijk}A_{k,j}## explicitly, i.e., do you know what the expression actually means?

I'm not sure that I have the grasp on the meaning of it, which is why I'm having the problem. I think that the components of the alternating tensor look like [tex] \begin{bmatrix}
\epsilon_{111}A_{1,1} &\epsilon_{112}A_{1,2} &\epsilon_{113}A_{3,1} \\
\epsilon_{121}A_{1,2} &\epsilon_{122}A_{2,2} &\epsilon_{123}A_{3,2} \\
\epsilon_{131}A_{1,3} &\epsilon_{132}A_{3,2} &\epsilon_{133}A_{3,3}
\end{bmatrix} [/tex]

(I'm sure my notation is sloppy)

Do you know what a free index and a dummy index is?

How is ##\epsilon_{ijk}## defined?

What does ##A_{k,j}## look like?

If you are having trouble answering these questions, I suggest that you read up on it in your textbook or lecture notes.

What is the curl of a vector?

The curl of a vector is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x V, where ∇ is the del operator and V is the vector field.

How is the curl of a vector calculated using indicial notation?

In indicial notation, the curl of a vector can be calculated using the Levi-Civita symbol and the components of the vector field. The formula is: ∇ x V = εijk ∂Vi/∂xj, where εijk is the Levi-Civita symbol and Vi is the ith component of the vector field.

What is the significance of the curl of a vector in physics?

The curl of a vector is important in physics because it helps describe the behavior of vector fields, such as magnetic and electric fields. It is also used in fluid dynamics to measure the rotation of a fluid at a given point.

Can the curl of a vector be zero?

Yes, the curl of a vector can be zero. This means that the vector field is irrotational, or has no rotation at any point. In physics, this can represent a conservative force field where the work done by the field does not depend on the path taken.

How is the curl of a vector related to the divergence of a vector field?

The curl of a vector is related to the divergence of a vector field through the fundamental theorem of calculus for gradients, which states that the curl of a gradient is zero. This means that if a vector field has zero curl, it is also divergence-free. However, the converse is not always true, as a vector field can have zero divergence but non-zero curl.