Using the Extreme Value Theorem on rectangles?

In summary, I was having trouble proving that there is a rectangle with a maximum area using the Extreme Value Theorem and someone helped me by telling me to find the derivative. Once I found the derivative, it was easy to find the maximum. The rectangle's area is maximal if it is a square.
LilTaru

Homework Statement

Fix a positive number P. Let R denote the set of all rectangles with perimeter P. Prove that there is a member of R that has maximum area. What are the dimensions of the rectangle of maximum area? HINT: Express the area of an arbitrary element of R as a function of the length of one of the sides.

Homework Equations

Perimeter = P = 2(l + w)
Area = (P/2)w - w^2 --> as a function of the length of one side

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to prove there is a rectangle with a maximum area using the Extreme Value Theorem? Help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x is the length of one, side, then the other length is (P-2x)/2. The area is then x(P-2x)/2. We can put this information in a function:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{x(P-2x)}{2}[/tex]

All you'll have to do now is proving that f reaches a maximum.

Yeah. That's the part I'm having trouble with because in the chapter, it doesn't show how to find the maximum, only that there exists one according to the theorem...

Yes, but you don't need to find the maximum do you? You just need to show a maximum exists.

If you really want to find what the maximum is. Then you will want to find the deravitive f'. The maximum then has f'(x)=0.

Two questions/problems:

1) How do you prove in general a maximum exists?

2) When I differentiate the function I get

f1(x) = (-Px + 2x2 + 2P - 8x)/4
What am I doing wrong because this seems so incorrect to me!

1) Proving in general that a maximum exists is done by the extreme value theorem. It states that any function [tex]f:[a,v]\rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] has a maximum and a minimum. But it doesn't state explicitly how to find that maximum.

2) hmm, your derivative seems wrong... I get [tex]f^\prime(x)=-2x+\frac{P}{2}[/tex]. This is zero if x=P/4. Thus the rectangle's area is maximal if it is a square...

Yes I finally solved it! Thank you to everyone who helped!

1. What is the Extreme Value Theorem?

The Extreme Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a continuous function on a closed interval will have both a maximum and minimum value within that interval.

2. How is the Extreme Value Theorem applied to rectangles?

The Extreme Value Theorem can be applied to rectangles by considering the rectangle as a continuous function with its sides as the domain and range. This allows us to find the maximum and minimum values of the rectangle, which can be useful in optimization problems.

3. What is the significance of using the Extreme Value Theorem on rectangles?

Using the Extreme Value Theorem on rectangles allows us to find the largest and smallest possible values for certain properties of the rectangle, such as area or perimeter. This can be useful in various real-world applications, such as maximizing the area of a garden or minimizing the cost of materials for a fence.

4. What are the assumptions for applying the Extreme Value Theorem on rectangles?

The assumptions for applying the Extreme Value Theorem on rectangles include the rectangle being a continuous function, meaning that there are no sudden changes or breaks in the sides, and the rectangle being a closed interval, meaning that its sides are finite and well-defined.

5. Can the Extreme Value Theorem be applied to rectangles with curved sides?

No, the Extreme Value Theorem is only applicable to continuous functions, and rectangles with curved sides are not considered continuous. However, the theorem can be applied to curved shapes, such as circles or ellipses, by considering them as a series of smaller rectangles.