Using the principle of conservation of energy

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an analogy between the Hamiltonian H= T+V and Newton's laws using the equation dH/dt= 0. The conversation also touched upon potential energy and its relation to the Hamiltonian. There was a discussion about potential energy being dependent on position, not time, and a mistake was identified in the fifth line of the work presented.
Just_some_guy
Hi all,

I'm not 100% sure this belongs in this topic but it was a problem I was given in a quantum mechanics lecture so here goes, sorry if I am wrong.Anyway I was given a hamiltonian H= T+VWhere T is kinetic energy and av is potential, and asked to use

dH/dt= 0

to find an analogy between it and Newtons laws, now my work is far to long to post using the usual method so I have attached a photograph of all my work I hope it is clear what I have done, I just want to know if this is the correct approach or I have somehow magically confused myself into what seems to be a reasonable answer :)
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1412978714.668321.jpg

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Just_some_guy said:
now my work is far to long to post using the usual method so I have attached a photograph of all my work
Let's be honest. It's not too long; you're just too lazy to type it in.

Ok fair enough! I'm using u phone so I find it much better to post photographs

V = V(x) so ##{\partial V\over \partial t} = 0##. However, that's not what you have in your relevant equation. From that (and from any first-grader dimensional analysis) you want ##{\partial V\over \partial x}## there. Coming close to Newton already ?

So potential between that a and 0 is not 0?

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying?

He's saying there's a mistake in the fifth line of your work.

Ah I see it! I have dV(x)/dt

Rather than what I should have which is

dV(x)/dx

1. How does the principle of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This applies to everyday life in many ways, such as the energy from the sun being converted into food through photosynthesis, or the energy from gasoline being converted into motion in a car.

2. Can the principle of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the principle of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all known cases. Any apparent violations are usually due to incomplete understanding of the system or the presence of external forces.

3. How is the principle of conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The principle of conservation of energy is essentially the same as the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system. However, the first law of thermodynamics also takes into account the transfer of energy as work or heat within the system.

4. Can the principle of conservation of energy be applied to both mechanical and non-mechanical systems?

Yes, the principle of conservation of energy applies to all types of systems, including both mechanical systems (such as objects in motion) and non-mechanical systems (such as chemical reactions). As long as the system is isolated and there are no external forces, the total energy within the system will remain constant.

5. How can the principle of conservation of energy be used in practical applications?

The principle of conservation of energy is used in many practical applications, such as designing efficient machines and systems, understanding the behavior of natural phenomena, and developing renewable energy sources. It is also used in the field of energy conservation, where the goal is to reduce energy consumption and waste by utilizing energy more efficiently.