1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Quotient Rule with the Chain Rule

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I'm struggling to understand how to find the derivative of something like this...

[(2x - 1)^2] / [(x - 2)^3]

The answer in my book says it is supposed to be [-(2x - 1)(2x + 5)] / [(x - 2)^4]

How do I use the chain rule with the quotient rule at the same time?

I even multiplied it all out and tried to find the derivative with just the quotient rule but I can't get the book's final simplifed value.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    Remember, that something like 1 / x is equal to x^-1. You can put everything in the numerator, and then use the product rule first.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

I wrote that a million times before, but I'm too lazy to search. So, let f(x) = (2x -1)^2, g(x) = (x - 2)^3, and the original function h(x) = f(x) / g(x) You have:

h ' (x) = ( f ' (x)*g(x) - f(x)*g ' (x) ) / ( g(x)^2 ).

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    I know that's the quotient rule. My problem is that when I apply it to my problem, I can't seem to get the simplified answer from the book.

For example, if the denominator is (x - 2)^3 and it's squared, shouldn't that produce (x - 2)^6. Therefore, how could the answer have a denominator of only (x -2 )^4?

Thanks

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make an equation out of it.

[tex]
    \frac{M}{(x-2)^6} = \frac{N}{(x-2)^4}
    [/tex]

Can this ever be true? When?

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because you are going to have a factor of at least (x-2)^2 in each term in the numerator and that cancels.

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7
    Thanks a lot. Once I factored out (x-2)^2 from the numerator and denominator, I was able to reduce my answer to what was shown in the book...:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?