Using the Superposition principle to solve a linear circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for V1 using the superposition method. The user shares their attempts at solving the problem and asks for confirmation on their results. They also mention that the formulas in the original post were incorrect and that the thread can now be closed.
Gabry89
img034.jpg

I tried it many times but i don't understand how to start and which are the first steps.

I started like this:

Solve for V1:

Vr1 = V1 * (R1/R1+(R2||(R3+R4))) = 5 V

I'1 = Vr1/R1 = 1 A

I'2 = I'1 * [(R1+R2)||(R3+R4)]/(R3+R4) = 0,6 A.

is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is kinda difficult 'cause i must use the superposition.

The results should be i1= 0,5 A and i2= 0,65 A

Solved, it was not so difficult, anyway the formulas in the first post are wrong. You just have to be careful using the voltage divider and the KCL, KVL. The thread can be closed.

1. What is the Superposition principle?

The Superposition principle is a fundamental concept in linear circuit analysis that states that the total response of a linear circuit is equal to the sum of the individual responses caused by each independent source acting alone. This means that the effects of each source can be analyzed separately and then combined to determine the overall response of the circuit.

2. How can I apply the Superposition principle to solve a linear circuit?

To apply the Superposition principle, you must first identify all the independent sources in the circuit, such as voltage sources and current sources. Then, for each source, you must turn off all other independent sources (by replacing them with their internal resistance) and calculate the response of the circuit. Finally, you can combine these individual responses to obtain the total response of the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using the Superposition principle to solve a linear circuit?

One of the main advantages of using the Superposition principle is that it simplifies the analysis of complex circuits by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts. Additionally, it can help in understanding the behavior of individual components in the circuit and identifying the contribution of each source to the overall response.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Superposition principle?

Yes, the Superposition principle can only be applied to linear circuits, as it is based on the assumption that the response of a linear circuit is directly proportional to the applied stimulus. Additionally, it cannot be used to analyze circuits with dependent sources or nonlinear components.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my solution using the Superposition principle?

To verify the accuracy of your solution, you can use the principle of superposition once again to check if the total response obtained by combining the individual responses is equal to the original circuit. You can also compare your results with other analysis methods, such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis, to ensure consistency.