Harnessing Sunlight Indoors for Sustainable Gardening

• Thread starter shadowofman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sunlight
In summary, this man is working on a way to use fiber optic cable to channel sunlight indoors and use it for sustainable gardening. He is aware that the wave length of the light is not effected, but he is still thinking about ways to make the process more efficient. He is thinking about using Fresnel lenses to direct the light.
shadowofman
I am aware that fiber optic cable can channel sunlight indoors. Is there any sort of end point which could throw the light out in all directions?

Maybe a substance in the center of a room that if you redirect sunlight onto it via a mirror, the light would scatter and fill the room?

And in any case, is the wave length effected at all?

My interest is in sustainable indoor gardening, using the sun rather than lamps.

Science news on Phys.org
Why not just put a diffuser/lens on the end of the fiber? How omnidirectional does it need to be?

I think there is a more fundamental question - how is he going to collect enough light in the first place? If you want a square meter's worth of sunlight on the insider, you need at least a square meter on the outside.

Why not just direct the fiber on a white screen on the ceiling? The reflected light will scatter as much you would want it to.

All that is left to do is optimizing the quality of the diffusing screen. But a regular projector screen, or typical white paint may well be sufficient for practical purposes.

Just direct the fiber light on a white-painted top corner of the room (wall-wall-ceiling junction).

Fair enough, white walls are good to light a room. I'm thinking more along the lines of green walls of plants, and a light source in the center.

This can obviously be done with grow lamps. I'm envisioning a channel of mirror reflected sunlight hitting a crystal ball in the center of a room and throwing light in all directions.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think there is a more fundamental question - how is he going to collect enough light in the first place? If you want a square meter's worth of sunlight on the insider, you need at least a square meter on the outside.

Fresnel lenses maybe?
That would still require the same amount of space, but maybe its more comfortable for him using the space outside instead of windows.

Vanadium 50 said:

There are products that do this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube

but for (ahem) growing plants indoors, it's horribly inefficient.

1. What is the purpose of harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening?

The purpose of harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening is to provide plants with the necessary light energy for photosynthesis, which is essential for their growth and survival. By utilizing natural sunlight, we can reduce our reliance on artificial lighting methods, which require energy and resources.

2. How can sunlight be harnessed indoors for sustainable gardening?

Sunlight can be harnessed indoors through the use of various techniques such as installing skylights or windows in greenhouses or using reflective materials to redirect sunlight into indoor growing areas. Additionally, advanced technology like solar panels can be used to collect and store sunlight for indoor gardening purposes.

3. What are the benefits of harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening?

There are several benefits to harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening, including reduced energy consumption, increased plant growth and yields, and a more natural and cost-effective approach to gardening. It also decreases the environmental impact of traditional gardening practices, such as using artificial lighting and pesticides.

4. Are there any limitations to harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening?

One limitation of harnessing sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening is the availability of natural sunlight. Depending on the location and season, there may be periods of low sunlight, which may require additional artificial lighting. Additionally, some plants may require specific lighting conditions that cannot be met solely through natural sunlight.

5. Can anyone harness sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening, or is it limited to certain regions or climates?

Anyone can harness sunlight indoors for sustainable gardening, but the effectiveness may vary depending on the region and climate. Areas with ample sunlight and warm weather may have an easier time harnessing sunlight indoors compared to colder regions with less sunlight. However, with the use of advanced technology and techniques, it is possible to harness sunlight for sustainable gardening in a variety of environments.