V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium

• Thread starter ZetaOfThree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, V.I. Arnol'd published a collection of mathematics problems in 1991 called "A Mathematical Trivium" that are meant to be solvable by the end of undergraduate education. One of the problems involves calculating the mean of ##\sin^{100}{x}## with 10% accuracy in five minutes, which Arnol'd believes is a measure of mastery in mathematics. Many people find these problems difficult, but some have enjoyed solving them.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
Check out this collection of mathematics problems, published in 1991, by V.I. Arnol'd called "A Mathematical Trivium". Here's the link:
http://www.math.upenn.edu/Arnold/Arnold-Trivium-1991.pdf
Apparently, these problems are meant to be solvable by the end of your undergraduate (math) education. Arnol'd says "A student who takes much more than five minutes to calculate the mean of ##\sin^{100}{x}## with 10% accuracy has no mastery of mathematics, even if he has studied non-standard analysis, universal algebra, supermanifolds, or embedding theorems." I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks about the problems. Personally, I found many of them to be quite difficult. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ZetaOfThree said:
Arnol'd says "A student who takes much more than five minutes to calculate the mean of ##\sin^{100}{x}## with 10% accuracy has no mastery of mathematics, even if he has studied non-standard analysis, universal algebra, supermanifolds, or embedding theorems." I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks about the problems. Personally, I found many of them to be quite difficult. What do you think?

Didn't look into it more than the sin^100 problem but that was pretty fun. First estimate was 6% off, got it down to 3‰ upon using a different method. Do I get bonus points for literally having done it on the back of an envelope? :p

Nice! You should try some of the problems in Trivium. There some similar themed problems.

1. What is V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium?

V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium is a collection of three books written by Russian mathematician Vladimir Igorevich Arnol'd. The books are "Mathematics: A New Golden Age", "Mathematical Understanding of Nature", and "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics". These books cover a wide range of mathematical topics and are known for their clear and concise explanations.

2. Who is V.I. Arnol'd?

Vladimir Igorevich Arnol'd (1937-2010) was a prominent Russian mathematician who made significant contributions to the fields of dynamical systems, differential equations, and singularity theory. He was a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and received numerous awards and honors for his work.

3. Are the books in V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium suitable for beginners?

Yes, the books in V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium are suitable for beginners. They are written in a clear and accessible style, making complex mathematical concepts easy to understand. However, some basic knowledge of mathematics is recommended.

4. What topics are covered in V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium?

V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium covers a wide range of topics in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, differential equations, topology, and mechanics. It also discusses the application of mathematics to various fields, such as physics, biology, and economics.

5. How can V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium benefit me as a scientist?

V.I. Arnol'd's Mathematical Trivium can benefit scientists by providing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. The books cover a broad range of topics, making it a valuable resource for scientists in various fields. Additionally, the clear and concise explanations can help scientists communicate their research more effectively.