Solving Vacuum Energy Problem: e-iHT=-1, 1/2ω, Fill Negative States

In summary, the conversation discusses the spectrum of a quantum harmonic oscillator and the emergence of negative energy states. The speaker mentions setting the vacuum energy at 1/2ω and requiring e-iHT=−1. The concept of vacuum energy as rarefied mass-energy with negative pressure is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation revolves around the physical meaning of negative energy states and the equations used to calculate them.
island
e−iHT=1→H=2πn/T=ωn ; n=0, ±1, ±2, . . . .

I'd like to set the vacuum energy at 1/2ω, while requiring e-iHT=−1, and that the negative energy states be filled, as well, although, this may require further explanation.

Can somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
island said:
e−iHT=1→H=2πn/T=ωn ; n=0, ±1, ±2, . . . .

I'd like to set the vacuum energy at 1/2ω, while requiring e-iHT=−1, and that the negative energy states be filled, as well, although, this may require further explanation.

Can somebody please help me?

Could you please explain the physical problem you are trying to solve and the meaning of all symbols in your formulas?

Eugene.

This is the spectrum of a quantum harmonic oscillator, except for the emergence of negative energy states, with n<0. A "Vacuum energy" of 1/2ω arises if we require that e-iHT=−1 and just realized that I've answered my own question, thanks!

island said:
This is the spectrum of a quantum harmonic oscillator, except for the emergence of negative energy states, with n<0. A "Vacuum energy" of 1/2ω arises if we require that e-iHT=−1 and just realized that I've answered my own question, thanks!

You are welcome.
Though I am curious, what is the physical meaning of the negative energy states, and how did you get this equation e-iHT=−1?

Eugene.

Okay, my knowledge of this is too specific if not limited, but...

The "extra" 1/2 in the eigenvalues of the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian can be thought of as having a phase factor of -1, which *can* represent vacuum energy as rarefied mass-energy that has a negative pressure, (-0.5*rho(matter)*c^2), in the cosmological model that I am thinking about.

Last edited:
island said:
Okay, my knowledge of this is too specific if not limited, but...

The "extra" 1/2 in the eigenvalues of the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian can be thought of as having a phase factor of -1, which *can* represent vacuum energy as rarefied mass-energy that has a negative pressure, (-0.5*rho(matter)*c^2), in the cosmological model that I am thinking about.

OK. I have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck with your research!

Eugene.

1. What is the vacuum energy problem?

The vacuum energy problem is the discrepancy between the theoretically predicted value of the vacuum energy density and the observed value, which is essentially zero. This discrepancy arises in quantum field theory, where the vacuum is considered to be a state of lowest energy.

2. What is the equation e-iHT=-1, 1/2ω, Fill Negative States used for?

This equation, known as the Euclidean path integral, is used to calculate the vacuum energy density. It is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to account for all possible paths of a particle in space and time.

3. How does this equation help to solve the vacuum energy problem?

The equation helps to solve the vacuum energy problem by accounting for the contribution of all possible particle paths, including negative energy states, in the calculation of the vacuum energy density. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the vacuum energy.

4. What does the value of -1, 1/2ω signify in this equation?

The value of -1, 1/2ω represents the contribution of the negative energy states to the vacuum energy density. This term is crucial in solving the vacuum energy problem as it accounts for the negative energy states that are typically ignored in calculations.

5. Are there any challenges associated with using this equation to solve the vacuum energy problem?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with using this equation. One major challenge is the difficulty in accurately calculating the negative energy contributions, which requires advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, there is ongoing debate and research on the validity and applicability of this equation in different theoretical frameworks.