1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Value of combinations?

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let n, k be in the set of all positive integers including zero. Define (n k)=n!/k!(n-k)!
    Determine the value of [itex]\sum[/itex] (n k) from k=0 to n. Determine the value of [itex]\sum[/itex] (n k) from k=0 to n.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried evaluating for some n value:

(n 0)= 1

(n 1)= n

(n 2)= (1/2!)n(n-1)

(n 3)= (1/3!)n(n-1)(n-2)

So, generally= 1+n+......+[(1/k!)(n)*.....*(n-(n-k))]+1

Am I on the right track? How can I determine the value?

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2
    I don't think that this problem requires use of Calculus, it can be simply done using the Binomial Theorem.

What is (x+a)n? Write that and try to find the values of x and a by comparing the formula with the series you got i.e. with 1+n+......+[(1/k!)(n)*.....*(n-(n-k))].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    Pranav-Arora: Thanks. I'm going to have to prove it using induction. Is there anyway other than the binomial theorem to reach the result? I know it will equal 2^n, but I was wondering if you can compute without using the binomial theorem...?

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4
    I am not sure if i know of any other method, you should better wait for others members to look at this thread. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook