Calculating Stress Values for Cylindrical Steel Sample

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of yield stress, ultimate tensile stress, and fracture stress for a cylindrical steel sample that was tested in tension. The force at yield is 205 kN, maximum force is 258 kN, and force at fracture is 200 kN. The yield stress is calculated to be 4.1 x 108 Nm-2, ultimate tensile stress is 5.16 x 108 Nm-2, and fracture stress is 6.7 x 108 Nm-2 based on a 40% reduction in area at fracture. The use of MPa instead of Nm-2 for stress values is also mentioned.
Dave_
I have a cylindrical steel sample tested in tension. It's cross-sectional area is 500 mm2. I am also told that:

• Force at yield = 205 kN
    Maximum force = 258 kN
    Force at fracture = 200 kN
I am asked to calculate the yield stress, ultimate tensile stress and fracture stress if the reduction of area at fracture is 40%.

Working:

Yield Stress:

Yield Stress = 205 x103 / 5 x10-4 = 4.1 x108 Nm-2

Ultimate Tensile Strength

Ultimate Tensile Stress = 258 x103 / 5 x10-4 = 5.16 x108 Nm-2

Fracture Stress

For this question I reduced the 5 x10-4 by 40% to get 3 x10-4. I then did 200 x 103 / 3 x10-4 = 6.7 x108 Nm-2.

Are my answers correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks OK.

Stress values are usually given in MPa, not Nm-2.

AlephZero said:
The method looks OK.

Stress values are usually given in MPa, not Nm-2.
Hi AlephZero,

Isn't fracture stress usually reported based on the original cross section (so called engineering stress), rather than the actual cross section (so-called true stress)? That would be consistent with how yield stress and ultimate stress were calculated by the OP. What is your experience in this regard?

Chet

What is yield stress?

Yield stress is the amount of stress or force that a material can withstand before it begins to deform permanently. It is an important parameter in material science and engineering, as it determines the maximum load that a material can bear without failing.

How is yield stress calculated?

Yield stress is typically calculated by performing a tensile test on a sample of the material. The test involves pulling the material until it reaches its yield point, which is the point at which it begins to deform permanently. The yield stress is then determined by dividing the stress at the yield point by the original cross-sectional area of the sample.

What factors affect yield stress?

The yield stress of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including its composition, microstructure, temperature, and strain rate. Generally, materials with a higher yield stress are stronger and more resistant to deformation, while materials with a lower yield stress are more prone to permanent deformation.

What is the difference between yield stress and ultimate tensile strength?

While yield stress and ultimate tensile strength are both measures of a material's strength, they represent different points along the stress-strain curve. Yield stress is the point at which a material begins to deform permanently, while ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before breaking. In other words, yield stress represents the material's ability to resist deformation, while ultimate tensile strength represents its ability to resist fracture.

Why is yield stress important?

Yield stress is an important parameter in material science and engineering because it helps to determine the structural integrity and performance of a material. It is also a critical factor in the design and manufacturing of various products, as it helps engineers and scientists select the appropriate materials for different applications based on their strength and durability.