Value that a sequence tends to- please explain

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the approximate value of the ratio of two sequences, Xn and Yn, as n increases. Multiple methods are suggested, including using diagonalization of matrices and simplifying the ratio of Xn+1/Yn+1. The final method suggests dividing both the numerator and denominator of the ratio by Yn and considering the limit as n approaches infinity.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

Two sequences are defined by

Xn+1 = 3Xn + 4Yn ; Yn+1 = 2Xn + 3Yn

What is the approximate value of Xn/Yn as n increases?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was to say that as n tends to infinity, both Xn, Yn tend to infinity therefore Xn/Yn tends to 7/5... on checking by calculating values this is completely wrong, infact Xn/Yn tends very quickly to root 2. Why??

EDIT: ok, not completely wrong, 1.4 isn't that far off root 2, but root 2 is such a neat number it feels like it should be possible to reach it using algebra.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be way off here, but this looks like a matrix diagonalization problem to me.
You have:
x_n+1 = [3 4][x_n]
y_n+1 = [2 3][y_n]

One way to untangle this is to find a diagonal matrix D = P-1AP, where P is the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors of the matrix above, and P-1 is its inverse. The diagonal matrix will have the eigenvalues on its main diagonal. These are 3 +/- 2sqrt(2).

Does any of this sound familiar to you? I can't think of any other way to approach this problem.

Hmmmn. Yeah I have done diagonalization of matrices, (though not in relation to sequences), but I know its definitely not on the syllabus of this particular exam. So I guess they just want the answer 1.4!

I can see how that matrix eq relates in the first place, though not exactly how I'd get from the eigenvalues to the value the sequence tends to.. however the exam is tomorrow and as I say this method isn't expected so I won't panic :P
Thanks anyway

Once you get to a diagonal matrix, you'll have x_(n+1) in terms of x_n only, and y_(n+1) in terms of y_n only, so you could calculate the ratio of x_(n+1) to y_(n+1).

The fact that the eigenvalues I found are 3 +/- 2sqrt(2) might have something to do with what you found as the limit...

Since you're asked only for an approximate value for [itex]\frac{X_n}{Y_n}[/itex], perhaps the following reasoning will suffice:

Write

[tex]\frac{X_{n+1}}{Y_{n+1}} = \frac{3X_n + 4Y_n}{2X_n + 3Y_n}[/tex]

Now divide both the numerator and the denominator of the right side of the above equation by [itex]Y_n[/itex] and simplify. Then, assuming that the limit as n goes to infinity of [itex]\frac{X_n}{Y_n}[/itex] exists, what can you say?

Please let me know if this isn't clear, or if you'd like another hint.

Petek

1. What does it mean for a sequence to "tend to a value"?

When a sequence tends to a value, it means that as the sequence progresses, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How is the value that a sequence tends to determined?

The value that a sequence tends to is determined by looking at the limit of the sequence. This is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence progresses.

3. Can a sequence have more than one value that it tends to?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple values that it tends to. This is known as a divergent sequence, where the terms of the sequence do not approach a single limit, but rather diverge to different values.

4. Are there different types of sequences based on the value they tend to?

Yes, there are different types of sequences based on the value they tend to. A sequence can tend to a finite value, an infinite value, or it can oscillate between two or more values.

5. How is the value that a sequence tends to useful in mathematics?

The value that a sequence tends to is useful in understanding the behavior and patterns of the sequence. It also helps in determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence, which has important applications in calculus and other areas of mathematics.