Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vapour pressure vs saturation pressure; too much confusion

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    It was only the psychrometry came; I read about vapour pressure is equal to the saturation pressure at 100% relative humidity. While before even in the textbooks both terms are used frequently as same. I fully understood what saturation pressure is; learned during phase change phenomenon of water. Again I learned about vapour pressure defined in closed container and through physics forums I understood about non equilibrium phenomenon in open container. Somehow I am not able to relate humidity, vapour pressure and saturation pressure but I think I know them independently well. Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Relative) humidity is usually expressed in percent and can only occur if there are other gases present in non-equilibrium cases. (i.e. equilibrium ##\equiv## 100 % humidity).
    I don't know how to improve on the information in the link - please help the helper by specifying your question if you want to know more

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3
    Relative humidity does not only apply to non-equilibrium situations; for example, it can also apply if there is no liquid present. The relative humidity is defined as the partial pressure divided by the equilibrium vapor pressure at the temperature of the gas mixture, times 100%.

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Chet, I didn't think of that! Too much liquid around in the daily rain :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted