Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable speed control of multiple dc motors

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    I'm building a hybrid car for my kids. I'm up to speed control and hitting a few hurdles.
    The set up is 4 x 12VDC motors, one to each wheel through a reduction gearbox.
    I've wired them to a single bus, and have used 4 standard relays to deliver forward/reverse.
    I have tried varying the speed with a 200w 10ohm pot, (otherwise it wheel-stands!), but there isn't enough current to get the car moving at anything but almost 0 ohms.
    The power supply is from an alternator run by a lawn mower engine, producing around 14.5 volts.
    Individual motors were fused at 4 amp (I figure to be safe, assume 5 amp), so around 300 watts in total.
    It seems I could do away with the relays and use a high power IC?
    Would the pot still be useful put across the motor bus?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Direct wired potentiometers do not give good control of motors and they are usually very wasteful of power .

Some simple electronic control modules will do a much better job . Build your own from published plans or buy ready made .

Have a look here for some ideas :http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/index.php?domain

Please come back if you have more questions .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    I've done some reading and I understand the point of pulse wave modulation over the pot and how it will give me torque at low rpm.
    I have dug around in my junk electronics and found about 400 Watts worth (according to their datasheets) of various transistors.
    The question I have is can I use them all together, or is it important to use all the same type?

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4
  6. Jan 16, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you'll need either 2 or 4 of those controllers. That advert is a bit short on details, but it would be handy if you could operate all controllers with just one of the knobs. Can you email the seller and ask is there a data sheet for that device with more info?

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6
    My existing relays are wired to deliver a variable input in forward or reverse. I tried using a pot to vary the power but i had no start up power except on full. I think this unit will deliver variable speed to the motors.

8. Jan 16, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think given the low cost of that controller it would be worth giving it a go. One PWM controller driving 4 motors in parallel will probably produce a lot of electrical noise and some high current spikes but it might survive.

PS I doubt it has electronic braking.

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8

NascentOxygen

The car has steering, does it? Or are you instead going to speed up the left wheels to make it turn right?

10. Jan 16, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good question. I assumed it had steering.

11. Jan 16, 2016 #10
    Yes it has steering but thats another headache actually! If i was to build another vehicle i think i would use skid steer!
    I have ordered the pwm module so I'll let you know how it goes.

12. Jan 16, 2016 #11
    forward-reverse relay diagram.jpg so you can see what I have done with the relays here is a circuit diagram I did crudely with Paint.
    This part at least works perfectly, just the pot wasn't useful to vary the supply.
    The PWM module claims 480W at 12V, I expect to peak around 300 or so.

13. Jan 16, 2016 #12

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I don't understand how the wheel rpms are matched with motors in parallel. Do you just depend on motor matching?

14. Jan 16, 2016 #13
    The motors are matched pairs front and back. They all run the same speed under no load. Not sure but i hoped this setup might also act like a differential?

15. Jan 17, 2016 #14

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the rpm isn't matched one will draw more current than another but it might not matter.

16. Jan 17, 2016 #15

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It comes down to a bit of dubious thinking which nevertheless sometimes works out reasonably well - if all wheels are in firm contact with the ground then they and the motors will all be going at the same speed .

Problems can arise though if there is likely to be loss of grip on one or more wheels while vehicle is moving on rough ground .

Personally I would have some simple feedback in the system as a safety feature .

17. Jan 17, 2016 #16
    Ok that sounds lije something i should look at. Can I use inductors alone or would it need to be more complex?

18. Jan 17, 2016 #17

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you supply a picture or sketch of the assembly of one wheel and motor ? Need to see what it looks like to suggest a simple and rugged feedback device .

19. Jan 17, 2016 #18
    I'm on my way to work atm. The motor and reduction boxes I'm using are straight off a few kids electric cars . I can upload a picture this arvo, including an unassembled view, as i have spares

20. Jan 17, 2016 #19

NascentOxygen

This is a buggy for the kids to burn around in, right? So expect half the time 2 wheels will be barely contacting the ground....

21. Jan 17, 2016 #20
    Quite possibly! The wheels that aren't on the ground will pinch all the power? Or is there other issues I'm not considering?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook