Brushed motor speed controller using twist throttle

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for advice on controlling the speed of a brushed DC motor for a small motor cycle project. The suggestion is to use a ready-made electronic controller module, with potential options for higher power versions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of upgrading an existing unit and provides links to websites for purchasing suitable controllers.
Ed Walti
I'm new to this but what I have is a brushed DC motor 36 v at 65 amp 2300 rpm that I wasn't too use for a small motor cycle project and need advice on how to control the motor speed. Please any help would be much appreciated thanks. Ed

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nidum said:
See if there is anything here that helps :

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/variable-speed-control-of-multiple-dc-motors.852359/

The type of ready made electronic controller module mentioned would be suitable for your application as well .

You'll probably need a higher power version but the principles will be the same .
I figured as much but I don't know how to upgrade an existing unit any help thanks

Can you describe what you have and what help you need in a bit more detail ?

These are not cheap:
http://kellycontroller.com/kdz4820024v-48v200aseriespm-p-951.html?osCsid=s9n76pv6mitqvs43thkc8jhji4
http://www.4qd.co.uk/prod/4qd.html

Thank you for the info this is exactly what I'm looking for

1. What is a brushed motor speed controller?

A brushed motor speed controller is a device that regulates the speed and direction of a brushed DC motor. It controls the amount of current and voltage supplied to the motor, allowing for precise control of the motor's speed and direction.

2. How does a twist throttle work with a brushed motor speed controller?

A twist throttle is a type of throttle control that is commonly used with electric scooters, bikes, and other vehicles. It works by rotating a handlebar grip, which sends a signal to the brushed motor speed controller. The controller then adjusts the speed of the motor based on the position of the throttle.

3. What are the advantages of using a brushed motor speed controller with a twist throttle?

Using a brushed motor speed controller with a twist throttle offers several advantages. It allows for precise control of the motor's speed, which can be beneficial for applications that require varying speeds. It also allows for smoother acceleration and deceleration, making it easier to control the vehicle or device.

4. Can a brushed motor speed controller be used with other types of throttles?

Yes, a brushed motor speed controller can be used with other types of throttles, such as thumb throttles or finger throttles. However, the wiring and connections may vary depending on the type of throttle being used. It is important to consult the controller's manual for proper installation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a brushed motor speed controller with a twist throttle?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using a brushed motor speed controller with a twist throttle. It is important to make sure all connections are secure and properly insulated to prevent any electrical hazards. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as a helmet and gloves, when using a vehicle or device with a brushed motor speed controller and twist throttle.