Variables and their common density

In summary, the conversation is about finding the probability of X=0 when given the common density of X and Y variables. The suggested solution of P(X=0)=f(0,1) is incorrect and further information is needed to solve the problem. The conversation also discusses the possibility of determining f(0,0) and the difficulty of understanding the problem due to language barriers.
ParisSpart
we have X,Y variables and their common density f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n) where f(0,1)=0.1 f(1,0)=0.1
and f(1,1)=0,31 find P(X=0)

i think that P(X=0)= f(0,1) but it says that its incorrect what i am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need more data.
Do you know that X and Y are independent? (my guess)
Do you know something else about X and Y?

i think that P(X=0)= f(0,1)
Why do you think that? Does Y have to be 1 if X is 0?

the exercise gives only this data... its say that X,Y ,they take 0 and 1 each of them..

ParisSpart said:
we have X,Y variables and their common density f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n) where f(0,1)=0.1 f(1,0)=0.1
and f(1,1)=0,31 find P(X=0)

i think that P(X=0)= f(0,1) but it says that its incorrect what i am doing wrong?

You can determine f(0,0) by using the fact that the f(i,j) must sum to 1. What does the event {X=0} look like as a subset of the whole allowed (X,Y) space S= {(0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1)}?

i must estimate f(0,0)?

ParisSpart said:
i must estimate f(0,0)?

What do YOU think?

i don't understand how to solve this

ParisSpart said:
i don't understand how to solve this

That must mean that you did not read my first response.

i read it but i don't understand very well english...may can u explain it more specifical

There are four combinations possible: 00, 01, 10, 11. You know the probabilities of three of these. So what is the probability of the fourth?

yea but what is the diference between 0.1 and 0,1 because he gives me decimal point and not 0,1

ParisSpart said:
yea but what is the diference between 0.1 and 0,1 because he gives me decimal point and not 0,1
0.1 is a number, (0,1) are two numbers, here used for X and Y.

1. What is a variable?

A variable is a factor or quantity that can change or vary in a scientific experiment. It is usually represented by a letter or symbol and can have different values that affect the outcome of the experiment.

2. How do you determine the common density of variables?

The common density of variables is determined by calculating the average of all the values of the variable. This can be done by adding up all the values and dividing by the total number of values.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent variables?

An independent variable is a variable that is changed or controlled by the experimenter in order to observe its effect on the dependent variable. The dependent variable, on the other hand, is the variable that is measured or observed for changes as a result of the independent variable.

4. How do you control for variables in an experiment?

Variables can be controlled in an experiment by keeping all other factors constant except for the variable being tested. This helps to ensure that any changes in the dependent variable are caused by the independent variable and not by other factors.

5. What is the importance of variables in scientific research?

Variables are important in scientific research because they allow for the testing of hypotheses and the identification of cause-and-effect relationships. They also help to make experiments more accurate and reliable by controlling for outside factors that could affect the results.