Variation of Lagrangian under Lorentz transformations

In summary, under an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation, the Lagrangian varies as -∂_μ(ω^μ_νx^νL), where L is the Lagrangian density and ω is the transformation parameter. This can be derived by considering the transformation of the fields and using the Euler-Lagrange equations.
jinawee

Homework Statement

Prove that under an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation: [tex] x^\mu \to x^\mu+\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu[/tex] so: [tex]\phi\to\phi-\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\partial_\mu\phi[/tex] the Lagrangian varies as:

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L}=-\partial_\mu(\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu \mathcal{L})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The new Lagrangian will be:

[tex]
\mathcal{L}(\phi-\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\partial_\mu\phi,\partial_\sigma(\phi-\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\partial_\mu\phi))[/tex]

The variation is:

[tex]
\delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}\delta\phi+\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\sigma\phi)}\partial_\sigma \delta \phi=-\omega^\mu_\nu \left[x^\nu\partial_\mu \phi \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}+\partial_\sigma(x^\nu\partial_\mu\phi)\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\sigma\phi)}\right][/tex]

If the last term in the sum vanished somehow, I would arrive to the solution, but I can't see how it is zero. Or have I made a mistake before?

I think I've done some progress:

[tex]-\omega^\mu_\nu \left[\partial_\sigma(x^\nu\partial_\mu\phi)\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\sigma\phi)}\right]=-\omega^\mu_\nu \left[ \partial_\mu\phi\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\nu\phi)}+x^\nu \partial_\mu\phi\mathcal{L}\right]=[/tex]

Could I use Euler-Lagrange equations to make this zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that there is a simple answer: what kind of field is the lagrangian density? How do these fields transform? And then with a property of ##\omega## it seems ok.

In your calculations I think there is something wrong with ##\partial_{\sigma}##: it's not a scalar.

Could you develop

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L}=-\partial_\mu(\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu \mathcal{L})[/tex]

I'm going to bed...

$$ \partial_{\sigma}\phi \to \partial_{\sigma}\phi-\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\partial_\mu\partial_\sigma\phi+\omega^\mu_\sigma\partial_\mu\phi $$

Yes, you are on the right track. The last term in the sum can be made zero by using the Euler-Lagrange equations. In the Euler-Lagrange equations, the term involving the variation of the Lagrangian with respect to the field itself, which in this case is $\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}$, is always multiplied by the variation of the field, which in this case is $\delta \phi$. Since the variation of the field is zero, this term will also be zero. Therefore, the last term in the sum will be zero and you will arrive at the desired result:

\delta\mathcal{L}=-\omega^\mu_\nu \left[x^\nu\partial_\mu \phi \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}\right]=- \partial_\mu(\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu \mathcal{L})

1. What is the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a function that summarizes the dynamics of a physical system. It is commonly used in classical mechanics and field theory to describe the motion of particles and fields.

2. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in Lorentz transformations?

The Lagrangian is a relativistic invariant, meaning it remains the same under Lorentz transformations. This makes it a useful tool for analyzing physical systems in special relativity.

3. How does the Lagrangian change under Lorentz transformations?

The Lagrangian changes by a factor of the square root of the determinant of the metric tensor under Lorentz transformations. This is known as the Jacobian factor.

4. What is the role of the Lagrangian in the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action (integral of the Lagrangian) between two points in space and time. This allows us to determine the equations of motion for a system.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to study quantum systems?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to study quantum systems through the path integral formulation. This approach uses the Lagrangian to calculate the probability amplitudes for different possible paths of a particle, which can then be used to determine the behavior of the system.